1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Can you make more $$$ with 21" than with a Z

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by casey, Aug 28, 2001.

1. casey

casey Guest

We cut over 150 small res props primarily with 21" LB's and 36 hydros for some of the larger areas. Because we don't discriminate against customers with small gates we are able to line up multiple houses on a street.
    One crew with a Z cuts a prop on 1 of our streets where we cut 9 props. The owner came to me today & hired us because he thinks he is being overcharged.
    Z crew was charging $35, I quoted $25. I am able to do this because we are doing multiples on that street. We now do (2 man crew) 10 props at $25 with 21's for backyards & the 36 where possible in 2 hrs. The Z crew has to charge more because they are doing a single prop & are unwilling to use a 21 through the gates. I am not lowballing but charging a fair price based on multiple props, not a single unit.
    This kind of overcharging by LCO's using Z's in a smaller residential market is the fault of the LCO's using equipment not suited to our market.
    If you are properly equipped there is as much or more $$$ to be made using 21's.
  2. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

In your situation yes you maybe right, but that doesn't mean that a 21" makes more money than a Z rider overall..
  3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I have a little problem with your pricing ideas.

You knew that this particular lawn was going for $35 by the Z company, and you give him a price of $25???? I could sure use that $10, e-mail me for my address! Because you sure don't want it with that type of pricing attitude! You should actually be charging more due to your increased labor of smaller decks vs. their cheaper labor due to Z's. You should market it that way! Yes in your particular area with small postage stamp lawns, a 21" may be more effective, but Z's are meant for 1/4 acre and up lawns.

So you are right that he should be using a 21", but you are wrong for undercutting him!
  4. casey

casey Guest

Didn't undercut him. Gave the customer a fair price based on having multiple props. I timed it a few weeks ago. The Z crew took 17 min. from the time of pulling up to customers house. We did it in 14 min ( yes I calculate minutes on these props) with the 36 and a 21. My crew then did 9 others in under 2 hrs..
    I'm wondering what a Z would yield on a 2 hr. large commercial job per cut.
  5. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

It sounds like you have found a profitable niche in the marketplace.
  6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like you are grossing approx. $60/man hour. Thats if your "Crew" is 2 men. $250/4 man hours.If its more men than that, then adjust accordingly. I regularly make $60/hr with my Lazer and me....no crew. Uno. Yes bigger properties though.

My only concern is for that $10 that you just passed up! That would have put you up to $65/man hour, or more, depending on how often you practice this trick. If I know/find out the current price that they are being charged, I will go higher, because some LCO's are just grossly undercharging as a whole, and making this industry harder to profit nicely.
  7. NC Big Daddy

NC Big Daddy LawnSite Senior Member

No. Maybe with the 36" walkbehind (maybe)
    Good luck
  8. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I wish I had some postage stamps!!

Another thing is (especially residentials) there are many, many more small yards which can be cut for 25.00 or less and make good money than bigger ones. if someone on that route had a larger property, they might would either buy their own mower, before paying 60.00 or more for a cut. Just depends on the area, and neighborhood.

And I don't think Casey gave away 10.00 - if he had only matched the price of the other LCO, he would have lost $25.00 and 25.00 x number of cuts on that property from now on, because the people probably wouldn't have changed.
  9. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Now tell them the real bad news casey,, that $25 is Can$'s which equals US $16.03 per cut.

US $60.00 = Can$ 90.36
    US $38.46 = Can$ 60.00
    Wish we could get the US prices here.
  10. LJ lawn

LJ lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

what's the point of posting this topic?if you are making enough $$ up there doing it with the 21in machines---then great!you know most ops on this site use some sort of bigger walk behind or z machine.i personally don't even want to ever look at a 21" mower let alone actually use one.matter of fact if we all get together and take up a collection i'd bet you can collect at least 50 or so free 21" mowers from the members on this site.