Can You Make More $$$ With a 21" Than a ZTR Revisited

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fareway Lawncare, May 18, 2005.

1. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

This 21" Metro/6.5hp Kaw has clocked eXactly 55 hrs since May 1....My 21"'s Generate $60 per hr Average...Cutting 3-4, $18 Lots Per Hr. Consistantly....

Therefore this Piddly 1k 21" Unit has Generated $3300 (Net) since May 1......Has Paid for itself 3 Times Over in Just 18 Days and Will be eXpected to Last 3 seasons...My Proline/Suzukis retire after 4 Seasons...I eXpect the Kaw's Will Die Sooner.

21"'s are Money Making Machines and its all Thanks to the Lazy Azz's Rolling around w/Bloated Trucks and 10k Riders and Belt Drive Walks who are Scared of the 21" and its Magical Properties.

exmark2.JPG

2. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Don't know about ZTR's but my best hourly rates come off my little lawns I use the 21 on that are all stacked up together.

3. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

They have their place... but not on my rig or properties. I love my lazyass riders :)

4. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

If you are cutting 3-4 lots per hour with a 21 then those lots must be small.

If you service small properties...use small equipment.

With a 52 inch ZTR I can mow 2-3 acres per hour at $50 per acre. A 21 would not be very efficient on these types of lawns and could not produce the same revenue per hour as a ZTR.

If you service big properties...use big equipment.

5. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I'am glad it works for you .But...my a&% don't like to walk to make a living !I try to work smarter not harder!!!but to each LCO has his prefrence. so you go for it .

6. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

That’s nice Fareway I will pass on that my riders are making me 6 k a week atm and that’s not including other work. And that goes up each day signed 2 more lawns up today. I picked up a 36" exmark TTHP 2 weeks ago and it has cut more then 12 hours a week off our list by eliminating all but about 3 lawns we had to do with a 21" mower.

7. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

It's Nice to See You Kids are Ambitious but my 32" 36" & 48" Viking/Tracer's Don't Make the Same $$$ Consistantly as the Old Stand Bye 21"'s.

21"...Less Hassles Training...Less Initial Cost....Faster on Most Small Lots..

You Kids need to Downsize and Rethink....Kelly's Landscaping My Guess is You Need to Offer Other Services Besides Mowing to Survive..

mulch.JPG

8. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Faraway, how many full (8 or more hours) days can you keep your 21s busy? Do you have 120 - 160 lawns per week ? What other mowers do you use WITH the 21s, or do you use 21s only on small lawn routes? How many men on a crew cutting with 21s? Do you transport them on trailers, or flatbeds like justmowit? Do you also trim, edge, and blow these lawns which you do in 15 - 18 minutes? How do you bill them?

Thanks.

9. rlmelton

rlmelton LawnSite Member

I have a 26 hp Dixie with a 60 inch deck that I have campaigned by myself for 4 years with 1600 hours on it and when I total my 1099s up it comes to 180,000.00 in 4 years. Do the math . 112.50 per mowing hour. and I'm not nearly as tired as when I had a push mower. Thats working part time when I get of work at 430 pm till dark and Saturdays. What would that 60 inch ZTR yeild if I had a full work week instead of part time ?

10. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

I have some very large lawns. I will have to switch over to a 21". I will let you know how it works out. Let's see.....9 lawns at over 4 acres...carry the 3 I do see it being very profitable. Anybody want to by a dixie chopper. And a free work out to boot.