1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Can You Match Their Price?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by T Edwards, Dec 6, 2004.

1. T Edwards

T Edwards LawnSite Member

We quoted a fella $250 the other day for a shrub trimming/fall cleanup job and I made the follow up call today. He said "Someone else gave me a price of $60 to $80. I'd really like for you guys to do it, but can you match their price?"

I don't think so, Tim.
  2. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

simple question, we do the same when buying trucks and equipment.

either you can or cannnot. I would stick with your original price though.
  3. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

He's trying to get you to drop the price. Anytime someone says "I would really like you to do the job but..." they are trying to bargain on price. He probably hasn't even gotten another bid yet and wants you to come down to a dollar figure that HE has in mind.

Tell him he can save 10% on the clean-up job if he lets you do some other service (mulch, weeding, etc.) but only if he takes the offer with-in 24 hours since you are really busy at this time of year. That usually motivates them to take your bid.
  4. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

good idea
    i like the 10% for more volume
  5. T Edwards

I don't believe in discounts. That 10% doesn't effect the insurance/phone/fuel/maintenance costs you incur, only your wallet.
  6. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

Some of that does reflect the time, expense, advertising, etc. that you would spend on driving to another property. It is worth a small discount, especially if trying to upsell. If you don't believe in it, I doubt your prices are stated on written material that they have anyway, so you could make the price a little higher to compensate.
  7. Brianj

Brianj LawnSite Member

maybe u could come down 10- 20 bucks but not know 170 bucks, tell him if they are that cheap let them do it and that u cant make any money and u been doing this long enough and u know what a fair price is...
  8. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I agree Tim, but you can make up the $25 on the other services and make the customer think he got you to lower the price. Sometimes a little "consumer psychology" can work in your favor. I've made a lot of extra income using it. JMO.
  9. T Edwards

Brian....trying to explain your fee to a customer is no good. Especially when another quote is only 30% (!!!) of yours. They want to know how they can do it so much cheaper, and frankly so do I. Why any self-employed individual would want to work for so little is beyond me. That's probably why I see so many old, beat up trucks yanking Fred Sanford looking equipment around all the time.
  10. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Do it like the retail stores, mark it up 30% then say 10% off today only!