1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Can you modify a Peerless 700 tranny's geering?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ngog_Nrythrng, May 25, 2005.

1. Ngog_Nrythrng

Ngog_Nrythrng LawnSite Member

I purchased a Toro Proline 36" belt drive, fixed deck from a member here. One thing I have always hated about the belt 36's is that they put small tires on them despite the fact they only weigh about 50lbs less than the hydro versions which get larger (16x6.5x8) tires.

So, I found the largest tire Carlisle makes that goes on a 6" rim. This, of course, makes the mower go faster in the same geer. I used to do most mowing in 3rd, and large flat areas in 4th, but now I am down to 2nd and 3rd.

Is there a way to take the tranny apart and drop the ratios so I can use 4th (and even 5th) again? :waving:
  2. Grass-Buster

Grass-Buster LawnSite Member
    from Pa.

Why? Bigger tires did that not throw the deck level front to back way off?
    That also would send that machine's COG way up than it used to be

If your running the same speed in 2nd and 3rd , What would be the need of 4th.

Im not sure i totaly understand why you would want to stick bigger tires on a machine that came with smaller tires OEM
  3. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, you can but why?
    Just change the pulleys on either the transmission or engine.
    A whole heck of a lot easier and cheaper.
  4. Ngog_Nrythrng

Grass-Buster, I wanted a larger foot print. IMHO, a 450lb machine should have 18x8x5x8 at least. CG is not affected. I was already maxed on height, so the extra 1/2" radius isn't much. Running at 10lbs pressure it has a much larger foot print.

SWD, different pulleys can mean different length belts. This is not a cheap option. Pulleys (like from Pervis Bearing here in Austin on IH-35 just north of 183) are not cheap either. I was hoping to crack open the tranny, and replace some gears... Dunno about cost. Hey, that's why I posted.

5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Why would you want to slow it down by gearing?
    Stick'r in 2nd or 3rd and go about your business.

Oh is it too fast for the worst conditions even in the lowest gear?
  6. Ngog_Nrythrng

Envy Lawn Service, yes, I want to reclaim the very low speeds, and also have the tranny's full range available if needed.

7. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

A simple pulley swap will acomplish your goal much easier than swapping gears. Go down in size on the engine pulley or vice versa on the tranny input pulley if you have room or can find the pullies you need... other wise, start hitting the microfiche and see if other trannies have the ratio you want..