Can you mulch with a Ferris Hydrowalk 36"?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Remsen1, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I asked my dealer to look into this for me, but maybe you guys know. Can a Ferris Hydrowalk 36" be made into a mulcher? It looks like baffles will be out of the question cause the two blades overlap each other so there is no way isolate each blade. Would this be absolutely necessary for chopping up leafs in the fall? Or could I get it to work reasonably well by using a chute blocker and mulching blades? My intension isn't to chop the leafs completely into dust, but I want to chop them up better than with open discharge. Any suggestions?
  2. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

yeah, I've got a couple.

1. you could make baffles that do not extend down in between the blades (have an inch clearance vertically, I am going to make one for my walkbehind soon, as it has the same situation as yours).

2. you could try installing toro recycler II kickers along with gators. I have done this to my wakbehind, and it has helped a lot with the mulching, but still not perfect, but sooo close.

3. you coud get an ocdc, and "mulch" with it, and leaving a windrow, come back the second time, and with it up, and discharge.
  3. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

If you want this for leaves put the MEG MO blades on with an ACS closure and you will not need to pick up any leaves and will not have any clippings show when mowing grass.