Can you name this grassy weed?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lawnlandscape, Sep 7, 2013.

1. lawnlandscape

lawnlandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Do you know what kind of grass this is growing in the middle of an established lawn?

Thanks!!

IMG_20130906_111624_780.jpg

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Subscribed... I have it in various locations,,, but those locations benefit from it... I'm curious if anyone comes up with a name(also Midwest)... :)

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Need better pictures. Does this grass have rhizomes? Annual or perennial? Any seed heads we can look at? Are the leaf veins prominent? Do the leaf blades have tiny sawtooth barbs on the edges?

Tall fescue comes to mind.
    http://www.msuturfweeds.net/details/_/tall_fescue_43/

4. lawnlandscape

lawnlandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

This is the closest shot I have of it. This is my first year on this lawn, so IDK if its annual or perennial. Let me know if this picture makes a difference for you or not.

IMG_20130906_111624_780 (1).jpg

5. Smallaxe

The grassy clump that it appears to me is definitely a Perennial... I've always felt that a shot of RoundUp would certainly eliminate the "Clump",,, but it was definitely the best Botanical Specimen that one could ask for(in that location)... :)

6. NuLifeLawnCare

NuLifeLawnCare LawnSite Member

7. Mike A

Mike A LawnSite Member

That's what I'm thinkin... Need a better pic though

8. slong1958

slong1958 LawnSite Member

2 times on the tall fescue. If its only a fine clumps put on some rubber gloves and then wet a rag with roundup and then very carefully rub the rag on the leaves.

Good luck

9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

If its tall fescue. Get the customer's OK for an added cost.
    Dig it out and repair it with a new piece of sod. Water well. Get the sod from your own yard if you have to--reseed your dirt spot.
    10 minute job. Takes me about a half-hour.

10. Smallaxe

If it is the same thing as what I got then it can't possibly be TTTF,,, becuz it won't survive here... Are you guys serious when you say this can make a lawn??? That is one ugly lawn grass...

I'm glad that it won't survive up here... :)