Can you not take the bid, if you won it?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by IMAGE, Mar 13, 2008.

1. IMAGE

IMAGE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

Hey guys,
    I have about 4 million bids outstanding right now, ok more like 300, all apartments. And I will be placing about 100 more next week.

So come next month and they start awarding the bids, say I win bid after bid, is it ok to say "sorry we are full now"? Or should I take all the work I can and buy more equipment?
  2. Your the owner do what you want to do.
  3. IMAGE

from midwest

Just wondering if it will piss of the Property Managers and give me a bad name, or if it actually happens much?
  4. Fordsuvparts

Fordsuvparts LawnSite Senior Member

I would be ready to hire more people and buy more equipment, if your are up to the challenge. If you don't want the work pick and choose the best accounts. Last year that happened to my company and we ended up with 600K in work to do in a 2 month time Frame. Lucky because of the weather it got stretched to 4 months and we got almost all of it done.
  5. IMAGE

from midwest

I guess I will just have to see how it goes. I was only hoping for 4 days work per week (to leave a rain day), but I could schedule 5 I guess, then just plan on working weekends if it rains. I guess I could swap the fridays and saterdays schedules back and forth, so its not the same one on saterday each time.

Oh PS- cool town you live in there "Morehead", I used to live in "Moorhead", its right next to Fargo here. The girls sure took the jokes good...
  6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Is there 400 apartment complexes in Fargo, ND? My perception of Fargo is totally wrong!
  7. mowing grass 1111

mowing grass 1111 LawnSite Senior Member

x 2 i didnt think there was 400 of anything in fargo:laugh:
  8. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

It sounds like this is your first couple years in the business. Do you really think it is a smart decision to be quoting out 400 apartments at this time? That is a recipe for disaster and a good way to get a bad rep fast.
  9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I believe he means 300 or 400 apartments total scattered over a couple sites, not 300/400 separate properties
  10. IMAGE

from midwest

haha yes it is 400 addresses lol. some of them are in groups of 5-10 side by side.

Actually 400 apartments is just a drop in the bucket of all the apartment buildings in fargo. I think we have more apt buildings per capita then most places. Fargo is a pretty nice town really, its not at all like people think. I think the combined population of Fargo, West Fargo, and Moorhead, must be about 160,000.