Can you over-tighten blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jimmbo407, Aug 8, 2005.

1. jimmbo407

jimmbo407 LawnSite Member

I am currently running doubles on my 36" ex-mark metro. Its seems to be working great. I am running one gator and one stock blade on each spindle. I am worried about the extra weight on the spindle and the blades becoming lose so I have been impacting them on. Can you over-tighten the blades causing damage to the spindles and the blades. Thanks for any input.
  2. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I run the same setup most of the time, meg-mos some - I tack weld the four corners where the blades intersect, then just hand snug the blades - they always tend to tighten, and unless I hit something really hard, I just have to reach under the deck to take them off for sharpening with a box end wrench.
  3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I dunno if they can be over tightened but I'll bet they can.

I torque mine to factory specs. 90 ft/lb.

4. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

True Cut Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

you can indeed overtighten them, ive snapped the washer that goes between the bolt and the blade on my mowers more than once, and ive seen the bolts sheered off from tightened too tight witha impact before
  5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

When the bolt is broken off inside your spindle, I guess it was too tight.
  6. jimmbo407

jimmbo407 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info.
  7. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Overtightening wil also cause small pieces of the threads to come off each time you do it. At some point you will strip the threads off.
  8. HK45Mark23

HK45Mark23 LawnSite Member

Well these are only supposed to be torque to 55 ft. lb. I had just grabbed a socket and twisted the head right off by mistake. I forgot they were threaded backwards and I was trying to remove them. Gee that day I had to get a bolt extractor. My cheep drill was dead. I had to find a neighbor to let me borrow a drill. I had never even talked to the guy before. I had to drill deep enough with a drill bit for the extractor to get a hold of it. Once it grabbed it, it came out smooth as butter. But it was not easy at first. I know what to do now but hope I never have to do that again. Getting the mower in a position as to get leverage on it was the hardest part. I had to put it against the wall as to keep if from moving and then get some way to then anchor my self as to apply force to the drill. Any way I was going to tell you guys about that when it happened but figured it was no big deal. Now that some one asked about over tightening here it is.

Broke Bolt 1.JPG

Broke Bolt 2.JPG

Broke Bolt 3.JPG
  9. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

^^ lawnboy?
  10. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Your best bet to torque it properly, is of coarse a torque wrench, and to factory specs. I use a snap-on wrench but for the blades I only tighten them with a socket wrench. This makes taking them off a breeze, i don't even use an impact gun. You don't need to take a big old gun and go balls to the walls with it, they ain't gonna fall off. But if you are worried at least get them factory tight. My friend has a gun with over 1200 ft.lbs of torque and trust me you can do some damage with it.