Can you overseed with TTTF over blue, rye, fescue? Will this mess up the growthrate?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Microbe, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Microbe

Microbe LawnSite Member

I have started to thatch and seed already in the NY area. I feel that when the seed gets watered in and burrows its way into the ground from now until april, better germination will occur... We'll see... But can you overseed lawns that are prodominantly red fescue and rye grass with turf type tall fescue? Thanks..... :usflag:

2. turfsurfer

turfsurfer LawnSite Senior Member

The problem is the tall fescue is generally wider bladed and forms bigger clumps than what is there, especially stands out in a bluegrass or fine fescu lawn.

3. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Tall fescue and KB, rye,don't make a good mix.Tall fescue has a bunch growth habit, and even the newer cultivars are still courser then KB.

4. Microbe

Microbe LawnSite Member

So when would you use TTTF for an overseeding? Brand new lawn only? I overseeded a few lawns with TTTF, rye, mix. Its a blend from Lesco called Eco sential survival seed mix. Hear a lot about TTTF and wanted to give it a try. TTTF really stands out huh? Dam... I heard so many positive things about it that I didn't even think about any negatives. "DUH" I'm gona go out today and pick up some 50/50 blue rye. peace.