1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

can you plug bermuda sod?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by rookie12345, Apr 22, 2005.

1. rookie12345

rookie12345 LawnSite Member

Here is what I have. (Question to follow)

I have a lawn the is very thin and thatchy in the center of the lawn. It looks to me like grubs or cinch worms have gotten to it. It is my friends lawn who was thinking about re-sodding the whole lawn. I dont think that it is in her budget. SO here is what I have done.

1) Raked it out with a steel rake. Pulled out 2 bags of thatch, weeds, and runners.
    2) Put down Spectracide for grubs, pests etc.
    3) Put down a bag of dried molasses to help with the soil and to start on organic.
    3) Put down a bag of 7-2-2 organic soil food.
    4) Watered.

Can you or should I take some pieces of bermuda sod. Cut it into 2-3 inch plugs, and replant it at about 6 inch centers? This to help it spread quicker.

I have thout about dropping seed. But have been told that it will take forever to come to grow. ANd that it might not grow at all.

What are your suggestions?

2. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

One of my customers had a tree taken out and there was a large bare spot where the tree had been. It was about 10' across. The bermuda covered it in 1 year.

If this area has full sun, it should do the same thing here since you are fertilizing and watering.
  3. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Why wont the seed grow? They have be growing for centuries.
    One problem with seed would be matching the varity with the grass already there. Cutting plugs from the exsisting grass is as good an option as you can find. I am not sure if Bermuda is actively growing now in texas but if it is, the procedure you described of planting plugs every 6 inches should work fine. The bermuda grass should fill in pretty fast during the summer if it is kept watered and fed.