1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Can you put a 52" deck on a Tiger Cub with a 48" deck?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by qwikv6, Mar 22, 2005.

1. qwikv6

qwikv6 LawnSite Member

I purchased a 2004 Tiger Cub with a 20hp Kohler and a 48" Advantage deck. Can I interchange a 52" Advantage deck on this machine? I know that Scag offered the Cub with a 52". I am looking to do a direct interchange from the 48 to the 52 or 61". I saw a 61" deck for sale and wondered if anyone has info on this. I can't be the only one who bought a 48 and wish I would have gotten a 52" or 61"

Thanks for the help in advance!
  2. craglawnmanor

craglawnmanor LawnSite Member

Have you emailed Scag with your question? I emailed them a couple questions about my walk behind last year, and the Scag Technical dept. emailed detailed answers a day later. Good luck! :)
  3. qwikv6

qwikv6 LawnSite Member

I emailed them tonight. I'm hoping for some fast answers. I thought that some of the guys on here may have done this as well.

4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I had wonderd the same thing, the 48'' deck was on sale when I bought mine. I have a 52'' toro walkbehind and it sure would be nice if they had thew same size deck so if I needed to use either mower in a yard the stripes would match up
  5. qwikv6

qwikv6 LawnSite Member

Here is what the Scag tech department said:

Thank you for contacting us with your question.

Yes you can put a larger deck under your Tiger Cub without having to make any changes to the frame. As a matter of fact, most of the components can be transferred from your current deck onto a new deck shell.

In addition to the new deck shell, there are a few other parts that you would need as well. These would include the left and right belt covers, spindle pulleys, turbo baffle, "custom-cut" baffle, deck drive belt and of course cutter blades. I would also recommend that you change the rims for the rear tires. The rims on your 48" machine have a different offset in order to narrow up the machine.

One last thing to keep in mind if you do decide that you want to pursue this further. I would suggest that you not go any larger than the 52" deck. I'm just not certain that you would be satisfied with the performance of the 20hp Kohler engine with a 61" deck.

I hope that this information will be helpful to you.

Thank you,

Assistant Technical Service Manager
    Scag Power Equipment

FYI, I checked the price on a 52" cutter deck with 2 dealers. Price were $1200 and $1500. So I think it would be more worthwhile to buy a decent preowned 60" walkbehind.

What say you?