1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

can you put down too much

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by aclassic, Apr 27, 2005.

1. aclassic

aclassic LawnSite Member

hey fellas and ladies,
    last year on my pesticide apps i put down nothing but weed/feeds, and i had a problem w/ weeds still coming up midway through the application's duration. would it be ok for me to go back through w/ momentum and spot spray even though there is already a weed killer in the soil?
    so basically i'm asking, can you put down too much weed killer in a lawn?
  2. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, you can put down too much. When you say that you applied "weed & feed," I'm assuming it was a granular blend. When you applied that product, was the lawn wet? If the lawn wasn't, that would explain the poor results you got from the "weed & feed." It needs to be in contact with the leaves of the weeds in the lawn to be very effective. If the weed leaves aren't wet when you do the app, the granules won't stick.

With that said, I'm going to have to ask you if you're licensed? I have a hard time believing someone who went through the licensing process, wouldn't know the answer to this question. This is the kind of information you have to learn to become licensed in the first place. If you're not licensed, do the right thing and hire a licensed applicator, or go through the proper steps to be able to legally do it yourself. That way, you won't have to worry about the stiff fines associated with illegal apps.

3. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Yes you can put down too much. As stated above, if using granular product and there is noting to make the flakes of herbicide stick too the plant, it will not be very effective.