can you quit whenever u want?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, May 11, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

what's the policy on cancelling service, i mean from your end. if u want to quit someone, how much time to you give? i really need to quit this one customer, do you think 2 days is enough notice? contract states, "either party can cancel service at any time for any reason, cancellations should be in writing." i'm thinking i'll just throw a piece of paper out the window as i'm driving by, it will say, "i quit!!!!" . so, what's reasonable notice?

2. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

Bobby your the man. I wish I could get all pissed off and drop accounts when every I want. I read your awesome stories about you droping some little old lady because she didn't like your trimming. That rules. about 10% of my coustomers are PITA coustomers and I wish I had the work were I could just get pissed off and drop them.

3. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

I have in my contracts 7 day written notice by either customer, or me. This just gives me, or them, enough time to alter the schedule and not change plans for that week.
    Just how I do it.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

From my New Customer FAQ:

Cancellations
    There is no obligation on either party to begin or continue service. "You like me" & "I like you" makes for a mutually beneficial relationship.

Simple as can be. If I drop a customer they always get dropped right after I cut the lawn. That way they have 7 days to find someone new.

5. The C Man

The C Man LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Exactly, makes perfect sense. What's up with the 2 days thing? That gives them less time to find someone new and makes you look bad because you waited until the last second to tell them.

6. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Since we dont have contracts on any of our 70 accounts that we do weekly, we can and have just dropped pita customers right on the spot. In the 20 years my dad and I have been doing this we have never had any contracts nor have we ever had any problems associated with not having contracts. For example we had this one couple that always wanted something extra done for free. Most of the time we didnt mind. One day as we were trimming after we mowed the lady comes out and starts pulling weeds out of her beds and chucking them all over the yard. She then tells us to pick them up and my dad told her to go FU(K herself and we never went back. Also remember all of our customers come from word of mouth. We never advertise and we dont have any signs on our truck. We have never felt any kind of reprocution from this kind of acction so if your fed up then just tell her about herself and let it go. If she is going to be a PITA to you then you can be a PITA to her.

7. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

What good is a contract that can be cancelled by either party at anytime?Its a waste of paper.

8. parkwest

parkwest LawnSite Senior Member

That's what I was thinking the whole time I was reading this topic, barnard.

Good question!!!

9. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

liability reasons.
    Mine states that if i dont have written notice not to service that week, i am there regardless and they are bound in writing to pay in full any services performed on that property.

Its better in writing.

10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

the contract does not force them to keep me, or me to keep them. it tells what will be done, for what price, and that they MUST PAY THE BILL. it says that in the event of excessive rain, and i miss the cut, they will pay extra next week. it says alot of things. it also says i can cancel, and they can cancel.