can you "reclaim designs plans"

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by nobagger, Aug 30, 2006.

1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

We are getting into more and more designing and installs and I was wondering if anybody has ever asked for a design back after the customer said thanks but no thanks to you doing the install. I should let you know also the design was free of charge. We just lost an install due to whatever but I'm sure now they will have some nitwhit do the install now that they have a design.
  2. Prolawnservice

Prolawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Thats why you should charge for the design, then they can also buy the install plan (for a little extra of course) and hire any nitwhit they want, but you still made your money.payup
  3. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

best thing to do is to get a deposit to design something. then if they want it installed you take the design deposit right off the top of the price. if not then you still keep the non-refundable deposit. i hated to design some thing only to be shot down and then ride by a month later to see my plans have come to life by someone else. not anymore.
  4. kmann

kmann LawnSite Senior Member

Totally true. Down here most people charge anywhere from 75 to 200 dollars for design and if you use them they deduct it from total cost.
  5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

No one gets a design without a commitment or without paying for it.
    It's pretty common for homeowners to try to get a design and then attempt it themselves.
  6. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

yup $ first.......ideas/sketch no prob but you're not getting details

for a plan you charge, if they are not up to paying then they are not serious about it anyway
  7. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Defineitely get money for the design/consultation part of it. Your time is worth it, isn't it? We charge between 100 and 500 dollars for a design, some are much more complex than others, we will typically consider this "advance when pricing the rest of the job and reflect it somewhere as a savings to them off the total. Again if it's a simple redo of the front foundation planting that took 30 minutes they;ll pay 100 ish, and we tell them outright it'll come off the total. If it"s more in depth, large areas of plantings, grade changes, water features or lots of wall/ pavers they will be told we will discount the design if they go with us but explain our time is worth money and as such is part of doing the kind of work they are looking for.
  8. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

NEVER give a design to a client without a design fee first...
  9. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Yes you tell them, this is our design fee and if you decide to hire us for the installation then the fee will be credited towards your final bill. Should you decide not to go with us then the fee is due upon delivery of the design.
  10. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I don't give out free designs. It gets showed to them then I take it back peroid. If they then decide to go ahead with it I give it to them at then end of the install to show other people, or whatever they wish to do with it.