1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Can you return a brand new mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Guardian, Mar 22, 2002.

1. Guardian

Guardian LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Some of you may know by now that I purchased an additional mower last week, and have had some problems. I bought a Toro 36" Hydro wb w/ 15hp Kohler.

Today, I couldn't even start it. It has cranked, but acts like its still in choke when its not...ANYWAY -while I have complete FAITH in my dealer to make everything right, I would give anything to give it back and pay the difference for something else. I feel like I have made a mistake.

I have only cut 2 yards with it. It has .3 on the hour meter (3 tenths of an hour). He loaned me a wright stander.....its nice, NO ITS GREAT! Originally, he said I could have it for another $1000, but I didn't think I needed it. I want it now

What do you think? Would a dealer do something like that? My dealer is great, but I haven't asked him yet.
  2. toby

toby LawnSite Member
    from ontario

Toro 36" hydro 15hp Kohler is a great mower. I have 3 & would buy another. Stick with it. Your dealer should be able to remedy any minor problems that arise early on.
  3. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

It all boils down to what your dealer will allow you to do. I personally would probably have gone with the stander to start with, but whatever reason you had for getting a WB should still apply. If there are problems with it, it doesn't mean you need a different mower, you just need to have yours serviced. Talk to your dealer, he may work you a deal where you both are happy.
  4. goodbeus

goodbeus LawnSite Senior Member

5. Harvestman

Harvestman LawnSite Member

Talk to the man and be humble. If he's as great as you say he should want you to be happy. Good luck.
  6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Hello Guarbian
    My 15 Kohler Did What your's is doing it was the Carb. No Big deal. My 15 Is still running strong 800 hour's later. :D
    Johnny G. :cool: :cool:
  7. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I purchased a 36" scag a few years ago and on one of my hilly properties i could see grass sticking up everywere i went back to the dealer and they said it was my blades so i made them razor sharp and got down to eye level on my flat properties same problem dealer wasnt doing anything about it so i tracked down the distributor about two months later they gave me a new demo to try same problem.They said it was me,I called the main scag hq and said I was going to resolve this in court,this was about 5 months into the season and hq had the distributor call me I arranged a meeting at one of my properties and called exmark shop to have a demo come to my property.This was the good part,the dealer showed up the distributor showed up pulling a brand new scag and ex dealer showed up with an old unit.grass was very thick i cut 2 paths with my unit grass stickin up everywere,dist turned put his mower on and cut two paths and it was identical after the ex cut 2 paths the scag guys were red faced and after a total of 6 months use i got the full purchase price refunded and bought an exmark

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

I would start with your dealer, Tell him how unhappy you are with the machine, If they cant' remedy the situation, then I would call The manufacturer directly and moan to them, Then maybe youll get somewhere... They should be able to get the machine fixed , replaced or what ever, but dont tell them you want a Wright stander to replace it.. that s not comparing apples to apples , So ... Good luck.. But it does sound like a carb problem, If they replace the carb , youll probalby be alright..
  9. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry you are having problems w/ the Toro. I got my W.S. 2 weeks ago- love it. The 52" works perfectly.

If it were me I would take the Toro back & ask to trade up to the Stander. The dealership will not loose any $$$ on this deal. They also know the cutomer rules in today's marketplace.

In effect you have put only demo hours on it. Even thought you actually own it. I would down play the problems w/ it and say you had a dream that had you mowing w/ a Wright Stander in it and all the people driving by were smiling!

10. mowingmachine

mowingmachine LawnSite Senior Member

You have a 2-year warranty on your Kohler. This will cover both parts and labor to fix it. The warranty on your engine is seperate from the mower. You will need to take it to an authorized Kohler service dealer if your dealer is not one. If it can't be fixed Kohler will put a new engine on it. Probably something very simple and you will be up and going in no time. The Kohler Command 15 HP engine is an excellent engine. I've seen several with 3000 hours still running strong with no oil consumption yet.