can you run a lawn/landscape service, without a pest license?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Nov 29, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

is it really possible? i mean, you have to serve your clients. you need to spray the walkways, the beds....and if you're doing landscaping, how can you without roundup, and pre em? can you exsist, without a pest license? i know most of you are doing it illegally, arent you afraid?

2. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Sure you can. Yes.. it really is possible. I've existed for going on 15 years.

3. bobbygedd

from NJ

arent you afraid of getting caught?

4. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I think different states have different requirements.

5. Lawn-Scapes

Get caught doing what? I sub out my pest apps.

6. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

believe me, it's VERY hard. lately I've been handing out spray bottles of manage so that the lawns don't look junky. I would absolutly LOVE to have a pest and herbicide license. unfortinatly in my state I have to have 2 years of working for sombody else in the same field before I can spray anything. (all because of the @!#$@# unions). fortinatly for me most of the really nice lawns here are seashore paspalum and I can throw salt on the weeds to kill them without killing the grass. for landscaping installs it's tough. sometimes I'll ask the home owner to spray the roundup if it's a small area but other times I just have to pull out the shovel and start pulling. btw, with out a contractors license I can't do jobs over $1,000 dollars, and to get one I need four years "supervisory experience" working under somebody else. I'm actually thinking of flying to a different state so that I don't have to work for some yahoo and can still get my license.

7. bobbygedd

from NJ

really? how does it feel when a client asks you to spray beds, or walkways, and you say you can't? isn't it odd, to be "professional" and not be able to meet your clients needs?

8. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

5 yrs now and never had a problem. I refer them to a company that does excellent work, nothing to do with being professional or not. It would be more unprofessional for us to offer it and not be licensed to do it. Never had anyone ask to spray a walk or bed. I get more people ask for tree work, maybe I should become an arborist too. :D

9. Lawn-Scapes

I can meet and exceed just about all of my clients needs. If I cannot do the work myself.. I make sure it gets done by someone else that is qualified. So.. no I don't feel odd.

You do know that you can get rid of weeds without chemicals.. right? I rarely have a weed problem in any of the planting beds I maintain.. and I don't use weed control.

10. bobbygedd

from NJ

hillarious........