1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Can you sharpen blades with a belt sander?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by waffletown20, Aug 30, 2005.

1. waffletown20

waffletown20 LawnSite Member
    from PA

Can you sharpen blades with a belt sander?
  2. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Does a chicken have lips? :dizzy:
  3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Not very good. You have to run it across the top roller and its hard to control. I use my sander now just to remove the nicks from the back side so it will slide across my blade grinder table.

4. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

True Cut Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

i use either a 3101G 90 degree die grinder from Ingersol Rand with a scotch bright sanding pad or a bench grinder
  5. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Done it in a pinch. Not the best idea.
  6. lawnrangeralaska

lawnrangeralaska LawnSite Senior Member

sure i do.. just figure out how to use it and its easy
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I've been using a hand-held 4.5" circular grinder for the past 4 years and if THAT works... But you do have to be careful AND you have to figure out the trick, so to speak...
    As far as whether a belt sander will work or not, that I don't know... But why not try?
  8. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

sanding disc on angle grinder
  9. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a belt sander on my blades with no problem. Been doing it for years . Not the same blades for years but the same method. hah
  10. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

Decided to try a bench grinder on my blades. Went out in my shop this morning and came up with a jig to hold the blade.

This one works real well for me sharpening at 45 Degrees with a high lift fin on the top edge. I made this one to use for sharpening at 45 degrees but it can be cut for different angles.

Materials needed: a couple 2 x 4's about 12 or 14 inches long and some 2-1/2" sheet rock screws.

Use a table saw , radial arm saw or miter box saw --- crosscut one
    end of one of the boards at 45 degrees. Use a table saw or radial arm and make a 90 degree cross cut about 1/2" deep and about 1/2" from the end on the other board.

Put the boards together and put the blade in the notch and slide the blade back in forth until you get the backside of the flat edge flush with the 45 degree beveled board. Mark a line across the edges and then clamp the boards and screw them together.

Depending on your own grinder's height just stack some 2x6's in front of the grinding wheel and set the jig on them. You can slide the blade in and out of the slot across the wheel . Usually one or two passes gets the edge sharp .

Photos enclosed. Old blade used for practice .