Can you spot the scrubs?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cantoo, Jun 22, 2000.

1. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Here are the five bids for a job I put in for in the Spring.<br>#1---- $2390<br>#2---- $10486<br>#3---- $4091<br>#4---- $9600<br>#5---- $17751<br>Of course #1 got the job<br>#2 is a &quot;professional&quot; company<br>#3 is a retired guy who does a few jobs part time<br>#4 is me, a part time guy been doing this for yrs<br>#5 is a new guy just starting out<br> This is pretty much typical of the tender process here, the amounts submitted are almost always this wild. Could you imagine a bid coming in at 7 1/2 times the winning bid. On another job there was only two bids submitted, one was $1700 per week and the other was $2900 per week. Over a 26 week season the amounts are really wild, $44200 and $75400 I bet the guy that put the $1700 bid in is sick every time he cuts and thinks of the money he could have made.

2. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

Some pretty wild variations in prices there.<br>A lot of new guys price too high.<br>Gotta wonder then how the winning bidder is<br>going to do the job properly.<p>Karl<br>

3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Judging by the bids it looks like your bid is right up there with the &quot;professional company&quot; so if I were you I would not change a thing with your bid next year. <br>One thing I would do is stay in contact with the property manager and let him/her know that when the lowballer gives up, you might consider the property. Good Luck.

4. Greenthumb

Greenthumb Guest

I just recently lost 6 lawn side by side to a(person)with push mower and a kmart weedeaterI was geting 65 a month he getting 10 a cut allmost a 400 lose for 1.5 hours of work he&quot;s their for 3 hours,

5. Greenthumb

Greenthumb Guest

I just recently lost 6 lawn side by side to a(person)with push mower and a kmart weedeaterI was geting 65 a month he getting 10 a cut allmost a 400 lose for 1.5 hours of work he&quot;s their for 3 hours,

6. Getmow

Getmow LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

It seems that there will always be a great difference in estimates given by different &quot;type&quot; of contractors. Uphold your standards of service and your price should hold its' own. You still have to stay competetive but not at the cost of service or PROFIT.

7. osc

osc LawnSite Senior Member

I've seen the same wild variations from very large professional companies.<br>Case in point: A retirement village with 420 homes at 3000 sq. ft. each. Bids ranged from $7.80 per house to $ 27.50 per house and every bidder was a full-time company with many employees.

8. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

We now have a ...................person..........advertising on our cable channel<p>$25.00 ANY SIZE LAWN, MOW TRIM EDGE AND BLOW<p>Maybe some of my customers will take him up on this, if they do they need not call me back when he goes under, and he WILL go under. I thought about getting him to cut mine, its only an acre with a 150 ft long ditch out front that has to be weed whacked. I guess he would either put up or shut up! By the way, saw an new truck in town today........BLS was on the side of it, one of those Isuzu jobs with the back end converted, anybody ever heard of this company, it isn't the one advertising.<p>Homer