can you spray for free?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lawnwizards, Jun 25, 2008.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i have a commercial account that i cut. they have this long fence line that takes forever to trim each time i cut. my question is, if i dont charge them can i spray the fence line without getting into trouble? just was gonna use round-up. thanks for replies.

randy.

2. ATouchofGrass

ATouchofGrass LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

If it were me, i would charge them a little extra and keep on trimming it. You never know what people will say or change there mind.

3. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Without an applicators license even spraying for free and them buying chemicals is illegal.

See PM

4. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Like cgaengineer said, you can't do any spraying legally unless you have a valid Ky pesticide license.

Once that's attained, you'd be MUCH better off using something like Sahara DG, over that of Roundup, because of the great residual you'd get with Sahara.
    Having such a residual typically means that you wouldn't have to go back in over and over and and spray the same fenceline multiple times every year, like what is common with Roundup.

But...some folks use Sahara and Roundup together for a faster burn-down.

Sahara works best in clay-based soils that are not prone to movement by erosion.

Here's some info :

http://www.vmanswers.com/products.aspx?pid=12

5. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I would talk to the customer 1st unless you know they won't mind. Some people get pissed off if you spray round-up without talking to them first. If it is a low traffic area I would do it for free. I have a few back fences that I spray, but nothing high traffic or high visibility, just looks too bad.

6. WildLake

WildLake LawnSite Senior Member

Unless it is a wire fence or one that you can't really trim well because it leaves missed blades just trim it. Sprayed split rails or vinyl fences don't look good at all. If it needs to be sprayed, we just spray it and don't bother asking. Never had a problem.

7. huntw11871

huntw11871 LawnSite Member
    from NC

Ask first. Due to it being a commercial account and you have a contract with them. On the other hand like what others said it is illegal to do. I know I have been there and wanted to spray but the customer has the say so in the end. I hope it works out for you because time is money.

8. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

As stated...you can NEVER spray for anyone (even for free) unless you are licensed.

One could even go as far to say, that even though you have a license you still have to have the correct endorsements or atleast that is the way it is here in OH.

A person can have a license and still spray illegally. If you ONLY have a turf license you still can't spray gly (vegetation), trees, perimeter for insects etc. These are all additional tests that have to be taken to receive these endorsements.

Just something to keep in mind.

9. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

growth regulator, would be my first choice.