can you stripe bermuda grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ike in okc, Jun 28, 2004.

1. ike in okc

ike in okc LawnSite Member

I live in Oklahoma and most of the grass here is bermuda. Can it be striped? I heard it was difficult. Any suggestions?

2. ike in okc

Sorry, I guess I put this in the wrong forum

3. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

That is all we cut here. Forget the stripes on bermuda. Ain't gonna happen. And if they do they are short lived. I have never been a huge fan of stripes anyway. Stripes are for baseball diamonds...not lawns. When I leave a property I wanna see and undisturbed sea of green. No stripes, no tire marks, no clippings. Just even, flat green.

4. DALMlawn&landscaping

DALMlawn&landscaping LawnSite Member
    from TX

amen, but i like a little tire mark so the client and boss knows it was mowed and client wont try to get out of a payment, but i guess you dont have that problem avery.

5. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Evan St. augustine doesn't stripe real well, I'm kinda glad too.

6. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

St. Augustine is my favorite grass....

7. ike in okc

thanks for the input. that's what I thought but I didn't know for sure

8. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

My Exmark will stripe bermuda and the stripes last the entire week. I cant explain it though.

9. Josh18

Josh18 LawnSite Member
    from AL

locutus, how tall do you mow the bermuda. I am cutting mine at 3" and there is barely any stripe. Should I go up to 3.5"?

10. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Josh, I'm cutting mine about the same height. What type of mower do you use? I think this has a lot to do with it. Also, I think my Velkie may help with the striping because the platform rides even lower that my height of cut. Like I said, I cant really explain it, just speculate.