Can you stripe st. augustine grass?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lonestarlandscaping, Jan 31, 2008.

1. lonestarlandscaping

lonestarlandscaping LawnSite Member

I have been hearing alot about turf stripers and pro slides. I work in houston tx and it's all st. augustine grass here. If I had a turf striper would it look as good as rye grass? Also if you have a pro slide how much was it and how does it work.

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

It's possible that you can with a turf striper, but I used to cut St. Augustine in Florida and I couldn't stripe it to save my life. I hope someone has a better answer for you.
  3. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I bought a Walker this year and when cutting at 3.5 to 4 inches some of the yards do stripe. None of my other mowers will stripe but I do not have striping kits on them. Now that I have seen the stripes with the Walker I think this might be possible with striping kits on other mowers. By the way some of the people love this, they come out and say my yard looks like a ballfield. Other people stop and say how did you do that. Now if I could get the Bermuda to do this.
  4. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Heck yeah you can do it. I've got a pic somewhere of St. Augustine striped with a 48" WB with NO striper. I'll look for it and post it.
  5. kelleys lawn&landscape

kelleys lawn&landscape LawnSite Member

you need to run high lift blades to pull it. it should do the trick works for me
  6. 2k1yzfr1

2k1yzfr1 LawnSite Senior Member

Here's a pic of some St Augstine striped with a 36" Turf tracer and velkie x2.

stripe 001.jpg
  7. GrassmasterB

GrassmasterB LawnSite Member
    from Florida

turf dawg, what deck are you using on your walker to get stripes on st augustine? i'm about to buy my first walker in a few weeks.

grits, did you ever find that picture of your st augustine stripes. i think i remember it but, its been a while.

2k1yzfr1, any other pics of your stripes?
  8. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I have a 48ghs and a 42mulch deck {old style}. The both will stripe, but the 48ghs is more pronounced. The yards with good dense turf look the best. By the way the new 52ghs deck is suppost to be great. I talked to the rep today at the open house and he told me that they are having such good luck with the 52 that they may change the other GHS decks to this style.
  9. down to earth lawn

down to earth lawn LawnSite Member

I have a larger place I cut that is mostly St Aug and before the drought burned most of it last summer I could stripe it pretty good. I run a 52" Exmark with the Ultra Cut deck. It was frustrating because it is the only place I have to stripe and be seen nicely from a busy highway.
  10. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

bump, anyone else have st. augustine striping info? that is all i cut.