Can you stripe St Augustine

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Precision, Aug 15, 2004.

1. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I see all these guys working magic on fescue and other grasses, but I never see an example on St Augustine.

I assume bahia is just not going to do it. I have enough trouble just getting all those seed heads cut down.
  2. KCON1

KCON1 LawnSite Member

you can stripe St. Augustine , Centipede and Zoysia just like fescue. the stripes just won't be apparent for as long as with fescue.
  3. SouthernFried

SouthernFried LawnSite Senior Member

Rigid summertime grasses like St Augustine just don't stripe very well.

I been trying to get good stripes for awhile now...and the only yard I can get them, even a little, is an extremly thick, well watered, well fertilized yard... that grows like a banshee. The grass is very supple, healthy and flexible...not so rigid.

Basically, just work on a nice "carpet" effect and forget about stripes. It's a beautiful grass, if maintained just ain't a good striping one. You can get some striping effect...but, it's just not that noticeable to most customers.
  4. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I've only seen one property striped locally... It's done by another LCO and I haven't been able to see what kind of striping kit he's using... He uses a Land pride 60"er'.... I haven't been able to stripe yet with my Surfer...It would deffinately need a kit to do so.
  5. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Of course, then again, I agree with SF... My St. Augustine lawns look just fine without stripes...
  6. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks guys. I was kinda figuring that it didn't work so well cause I never hear any bragging about it.

I also agree that mine looks nice with out the stripes, but would have been cool to do.

Thanks again.
  7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I think it would just be more added work. Glad it wont stripe.
  8. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, you can stripe St Augustine turf.
    I get approximately 5 days of noticable patterns then it fades with the growth.
    The striping becomes more noticable with double cutting.
    I do not use a striping kit, just doubles which are sharp with side discharge.