Can You Top This...Messy Bench

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by piston slapper, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

My bench doesn't have much of anything on it. Despite doing this kind of work for 45 years, I just haven't kept much. When I'm done repairing something, if there's any old parts or nuts and bolts left over, they go in the trash. Any stuff that does get lucky and is not thrown away immediately only sits around for a year or two before I chuck it. I have 60 feet of wall in my garage and there isn't an inch to spare for old junk. Between 2 full size tool boxes, 2 bench grinders, a 6 foot workbench and scads of shelves loaded with more tools, new nuts, bolts, screws etc., lawn chemicals, shop chemicals, cleaning products, spray paints, and just tons of stuff, there just isn't any more room. I also have a large shed and that has my heavy tools (shop crane, tow bar etc), the extra 36" WB, a lit seeder, pressure washer, huge barrel full of shovels, rakes, post hole diggers, etc, chainsaw, pole saw, back up 2 strokes and back back blower, hundreds of pounds of fert and grass seed, spreaders, and other stuff.

I really don't have time to try to keep up with old junk.

2. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Rob and Slapper, since your remarks regarding the significance of a clean work bench, I've been forced to work extra hard to reestablish my self esteem as reevaluate the qaulity of my work--it had sunk to an all time low.:hammerhead:

Yeah, three years ago, I could have been accused of having a nasty workbench and junk out parts serving as wall decorations. Unfortunately, that had to change when I'm now forced to work out of half of a double garage and drive way. I've got about 5 feet of workbench for my vise but most of my work is done on an adjustable height 30"x48" rack. That rack is mounted to an old Gray pneumatic bumper jack--a jack from the era when vehicles really had bumpers. Eventually I'll have to post a pic when I can come up with a camera.

Incidentally, no DaisyMae's allowed here--we do have a highway load limit ya know. On the other hand, Slapper, you may be able to smuggle one or two in with that big smokin' BBQ outfit--portable sauna.:laugh: If you can cook on the road, you may even have 'em down to size and lookin' pretty good in the 9 or 10 hours it takes to get here.

3. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Silver Member

I reckon I'll have to put an end to this " messy bench" deal once and for all..............not now though! Too late to venture out inta the cave......

Ahh... what the he l l ! Be back inna few...........

4. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm thinkin were about to see the motherload...of tuna cans....:laugh:

5. BigFish

No tuna cans.......but ya can spot a couple of vienny snausage cans ! ( amongst other thangs)

018.JPG

019.JPG

020.JPG

021.JPG

Now don't go sendin, Mike and Frank this way......

018.JPG

019.JPG

020.JPG

021.JPG

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

OK Fish...... Looks like you took it !!! [​IMG]

With Clyde run'n a close [​IMG]

But I gotta say Fish..... That's a heck of mess..... :laugh:

7. BigFish

Thank ya....thank ya very much........

Can ya spot the paintin' stuff????

I seriously gotta get my butt to cleanin'!

8. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah.....Right !!!

That's worse than those seek-n-find puzzles...... Blow'n those pics up on my freak'n 27" screen didn't help...... :dizzy:

9. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

I second the motion....way to go Fish....:weightlifter:
    I'm guessin that as messy as it appears...you still know where to look when you need sumthin...:laugh:

10. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

I don't think you need to worry about Mike and Frank, more like
    A & E tv coming to do an intervention :dizzy: