Can you top this???

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by piston slapper, Jul 26, 2011.

1. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

I've been in business for 10 years or so. Before I got a regular business phone, I used my cell # as my business phone. The main business was rebuilding and repairing Kohler engines. Last saturday afternoon I was BBQ'n out back and I got a phone call. The guy on the phone was calling to complain about the exhaust valve sticking on an engine I built back in 2001. The man got 10 years commercial service out of one of my rebuilt engines, and he's calling me to complain about it ,on a saturday afternoon.

Whats wrong with this picture ? Let me see....
    New Kohler engine warranty.....2 years
    My rebuilt engines....90 days
    10 years of service and this guys complaining? He should have been thanking me, or at least asking for instructions on how to bronze this engine, and send it to Kohlers engine factory for display.:weightlifter:

Am I the only one who has these #*&#$@ customers ?

CAN YOU TOP THIS ?

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Awww..... But SLAPPER..... Da guy only put 4.8 hrs on it in that 10 years time !!! :dizzy:

Did ya ask em what he was drink'n ? :laugh:

I'd swap ya customers any day..... Aren't nothing but back woods boa hunk dumb as a box a rocks billybobs around here !

3. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

You guys really play to a tough crowd. All you guys need is a few more years on you. When you roll over the big 70, you'll become everyone's softy.

As tough as you guys are, it's probably best I wasn't able to make my intended road trips.

Keep your powder dry.

Dutch

4. piston slapper

I'm not a hard-hearted man...I see the hardship being poured out on this economy ,and more often than not try to help. The last time the economy was this lean, most of us werent even a glean in our fathers eyes. Lately , I see alot of descision on peoples faces when they come in to pay their bill, as if they are making choices on who's going to get paid this week. I moved my shop to an affluent area, and this is not normal. Well, maybe it is now.

That being said...All I want from my customers is to be treated with respect. After turning wrenches for over 30 years, I deserve that much.....The next moron that cries warranty, 10 years after the fact may get a quick education...Hopefully there arent that many of them out there.....JEEZ......

SAVE YOUR RECIEPT

5. piston slapper

With that gene pool to choose from....I'm guessing you import your labor.
    At least the billybobs are predictable....Put DaisyMae behind the counter, and they'll just smile and pay the bill.:walking:

6. Restrorob

Ha ! That's the only way we've been in business so long, Not one of us 8 are from with-in 168 miles of here....

As much as I hate to say it, But the DaisyMae's around here are just as bad as the billybobs..... And.....I'd have to put a barf can next to the counter ! :laugh:

7. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Piston Slapper, he expected you to give him a lifetime warranty, do the work for free and a loaner anytime his needed repair:laugh: Once again, you can't fix stupid!

8. piston slapper

Thats Bad....Get a cardboard cutout and stand it in the lobby:confused:

9. piston slapper

I dont think I'd use the word "TOUGH"...
    Maybe...Competant....Confident..Composed....Professional....

Unfortunately some customers see kindness as a weakness ripe for exploiting.
    Never let them see you sweat....

Dutch, It'd been good to have you stop in on your world trip, maybe next trip.
    I'll save you a Lawnboy to fix...(Picked up 3 commercial 6.5 hp 2 strokers, what they were trying to cut with them in Fla, I'll never know):confused:

10. Restrorob

Yeah, I agree slapper..... Hmmm, Maybe he can make another trip when it's a little cooler ! Thumbs Up

I stay sooo swamped, I haven't had a vacation in 20 yrs...... :(