Can you use an Electric pump on a skid sprayer?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by THC, Jan 15, 2009.

1. THC

THC LawnSite Silver Member

I'm doing some research into building my own skid as I'm not likely going to be buying a $4000 skid, so I'm looking for cheaper options.

After pricing out what a hypro D30 pump with regulator costs (Hypro D30 with Gear Reduction and Regulator $888 canadian:() then gas engine etc. I can't see how to build one cheaper then Rittenhouse sells them for already made.:confused:
    Electric hose reel is about the same price to.

So, is an electric pump viable? does' it run off your truck battery, do you have to have a 2nd battery installed?

Pros and cons?

Should I stick with shur flo and spreader? I think image is just as important as work btw so I want to look the part if I'm going to expand out spraying.

2. THC

3. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Gregson clark is a good place to look

4. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

5. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

I understand the desire to build something as cheaply as possible to start a business. However, $4,000 is a minimal expence for a critical part of the business to be efficient. You can go the cheap route by buying an electric pump. Then you may find out how much more capabilities you have with the Hypro and spend more to replace the electric pump. Only you can make that decision. My advice is to get the best equipment you can.

6. THC

That's always a concern, I thought I learned that lesson when I bought home owner toro mowers. Now it's all commercial and worth every penny but I still need to be thrifty as possible. $4000 is a lot of money to me even though I paid about that for my walk behind and $2600 for a trailer a couple years ago.

But I'd still like to look at cheaper options for a home made skid because even though I'll be advertising I don't know how many customers I'll get and I want to make sure I make money on my set up THIS year if possible. The economy is scary if you know what I mean.

7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

THC, If you do a hundred customers at 50 dollars each--thats $5000--you could have it paid for by the Fourth of July. Scroll down 4 inches to Gregson Clark.
    Electric pump--battery operated? One third horsepower? Are you serious? "There is no substitute for power," said by my Honda dealer.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  8. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

I know a lot of guys who started out with electric pumps at first, then upgraded to hydro later when they could afford it. If your only doing lawns (not trees) you should be ok for a year or two. Electric pumps are reasonably cheap and can be run off your truck battery. Expect to get 3 gls/min max.

9. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Late last year, I needed a skid sprayer badly to treat a 10 acre lawn. Soon after, I got called to apply a soil injection and spray to over 50 trees on a 5 acre estate.

$350 100 gallon poly PCO tank
    $1000 Hypro D30 + 6.5HP engine
    $300 200' 3/8 Kuri-Tec 800 PSI hose
    $250 hose reel
    $200 misc plumbing and fittings including jet agitation system

I am at a little under $3000 for all of this. It is safe to say that the accessories I attach to this cost as much as or more than the skid sprayer itself

$2000 Teejet 834 spray controller system.
    $250 10' wet boom(this is mounted on my truck bumper for treating acreage)

A walking boom, all kinds of nozzles, Turbo gun, Arag Long Range Tree gun, custom wand for shrubs and nursery applications. Lots of this was accumulated over my many years in the business. Added up, I am sure it is a lot. But everything down to the nozzle set I keep, sets me apart from my competition with their SP or Solo backpack sprayers and the adjustable nozzle at the end of their wand.

10. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Been there done everything. Another option to the Hypro (Best Pump) is a 8-roller Hypro Pump. I saw some of these on skids in SC. The pump is easier to maintain and will give enough pressure for lawns but not enough for trees. Check them out at Rittenhouse. The main drawback from the 12-Volt is enough pressure and enough GPM at a reasonable pace.