Can you WHEEL AND DEAL with a Dealer????

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by FiremanDud, Sep 4, 2005.

1. FiremanDud

FiremanDud LawnSite Member

My question is when you go to buy equipment from a dealer can the price and added stuff be Negotiated. I'm buying all my equipment from one dealer Mower, Edger, Trimmer, Blower, and Hedge Trimmer for about 6.1K. Can I ask for a better deal or ask for him to throw some extra equipment in the deal??????

2. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Doesn't hurt to try, tell him you looked around and found better prices on different pieces of equipment. Or just be up front with him, tell him your spending xyz dollars and would like 10% off or so. I spent 5.5k on new equipment this year but didn't get any huge breaks, so don't be mad if you don't get one. :waving:

3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

You can ask for some 2 stroke oil, maybe an extra set of blades for the mower. I quess you can ask or bargain a deal but its what he is willing to do to secure the deal.

4. FiremanDud

FiremanDud LawnSite Member

Well I got some quotes from some dealers and there taking 20 dollors off each 2 cycle machine. I wanted to ask for a equipment rack holder which go's for about 160.00 but didn't know if it's asking to much.

5. nobagger

from Pa

Yeah that may be too much. Like you said they may knock off 20 bucks or so and thats about as good I think as your gonna get. payup

6. nobagger

from Pa

You could look at it like this also, If and when you go to give a bid on a prop. how much are you willing to wheel and deal.

7. nobagger

from Pa

Just one thing I forgot FD, I bought all of my equipment from the same dealer so we got to become pretty good friends, not like I go over to his house but he's helped me out in different ways. And he's also hooked me up with a few accounts and some, and I don't want to say inside info, but some that was very benificial to my pricing questions I've had on a few things.

8. KIDWITHADREAM

KIDWITHADREAM LawnSite Member

I hate when people do it to me, so dont do it to them. Anytime someone asks me for a "deal", i just simply state "This aint a garage sale" :p

9. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

most 2 cycle equip is only marked up around $30 from dealer costs. small parts and mix oil usually have a 100% markup so its more common for some mix or blades to be thrown in with the deal. if he'll give you $20 of all 2 cycle equip, then take it and tell him you look forward to a long time biz relationship with him.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, I agree with that much money it is worth a shot. As for me I would go with the truth... I say this because when a customer tells ME someone offered them a better price, my answer is always 'Well then what am I doing here?' and see ya! Unless you did find a better price but then, why go to this guy, right?
    Now IF the guy doesn't give you a break, maybe there IS another shop around you might check but ultimately you should give your business to the shop YOU want to deal with long-term and this shouldn't hinge on price alone.