Can your image hurt you?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by randy_will, May 30, 2004.

1. randy_will

randy_will LawnSite Member

I'm trying to increase my customer base. I have been putting out flyers over the past 2 months and have not received one call. I do quality work. Better than most of the competition. Double check everything before I leave a jobsite. I get referrals for small landscaping jobs, but no regular maintenance work.

I advertise professional quality - affordable pricing and I am in line with the competition and have no intention of lowballing.

I have company shirts, hats, and truck signs. My company has a professional image! Can a professional image sometimes hurt you in some markets?

I see only two other LCO's in my area that have a professional image. One does mostly commercial and the other have a mixture of both. They both say they could be doing better. ( Who couldn't)

However, I see several LCO's that do not project a professional image. No signage or uniforms, home owner equipment, etc...
    I spoke with two of these guys and they said they are extremely busy.

Can running a business straight up and professional slow your growth in some markets ? Your thoughts? Thanks

2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

randy--I agree with you that there seems to be a problem.

I don't think looking "scrubier" is an advantage, however.

GEO

3. Mikes Lawn Landscape

Mikes Lawn Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Yes I believe it can in some markets.

Homeowners have a perception of what the Lawn Boy should look like. If they see you driving new landscaping trucks and company uniforms they may percieve you as being unaffordable even though you are pricing competively. I try to balance the pro look with being just another guy mowing lawns.

If your market is million dollar homes Look as pro as possible if your market is $200,000 homes mix in a little regular guy look.

Running a pro outfit does not mean $1000's of dollars in equipment and uniforms.

4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

The "non"-professional people that you spoke with, do you know what they're charging for certain, not just what they are telling you (if that). Just because someone says they charge $30-40-50 per property doesn't mean they actually are.

I'd bet they're either cheaper than what you're trying to get to do your work, or they've been in the business longer, therefore have clients that are happy with their work, therefore no need to get someone that has snappy looking shirts.

I suppose the last thing is that looking "too professional" could hurt you in some homeowners eyes, they immediately think "there's no way I can afford him" without even getting a price. I used to get that response alot.

5. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Some people take pride in their lawn, some take pride in seeing how cheap they can get their lawn cut and which neighbor is the paying the least.
    Seak out the customer that desires the level of service you provide and grow that group. Finding the right clients and building a good base takes a lot of time. Keep at it and good luck.

6. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

I would agree to see why the are soo busy. Maybe it's because they are undercutting the market just to stay busy. I am a firm believer in a professional image. I feel it sets us aside from the others. ;)

7. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Are they "busy" or are they "doing well for themselves"? Sometimes there is a big difference.

8. wonderwoman

wonderwoman LawnSite Member

just hangin work will come.i think it good to look pros

9. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Maybe they take longer to do a job compared to the next guy, thus forcing them to always be behind schedule. If they move slower, sure they are going to be busier keeping up with the competition.

10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I feel that being more professional works great for higher income people, while more laid back works better for people that are retired or seniors