1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Can your LCO's company image be TOO professional?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Watkinslawnservice, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Watkinslawnservice

Watkinslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

I was just wondering if anyone thought that a LCO that mainly just mows, trims, edges and blows could have too professional of an image? I mean do you think that a potential client might overlook your large color ad in the yellow pages in favor of the line ad for Ralph'sMowing because of the perception that you will be overpriced and Ralph will be cheap. That same customer may have seen you riding down the street in your new truck pulling your 16' trailer full of new equipment while you were wearing your smart looking shirt and hats with your beautifull logo on them and also seen Ralph driving down the same street in a 1984 rusted out cavalier with the trunk open and an MTD push mower in the back.

I'm not trying to start a fuss here, I am all for a nice company image and hopeing that gets you the quality customers. I am just wondering if you think that some people dont understand how reasonable hiring your LCO is compared to Ralph plus they will be getting the quality that Ralp can't provide.

Dave :waving:

P.S. Sorry if I offended anyone out there named Ralph!
  2. KINGjosh

KINGjosh LawnSite Senior Member

i think that it all depends on the customer in general.
  3. Sneaky

Sneaky LawnSite Member

You said it yourself....Quality Customer.....

Anyone that wants a nice looking home will want and pay a little more for a professional. If they just want the grass knocked down, then they will call Ralph.
  4. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you make a good point to a certain extent. Some customers, generally PITAs, may look for someone like Ralph. While on the other hand, someone who lives in a $250,000+ home is not likely to want a '84 Calvalier in front of their house. Additionally, a commercial account/business, that is concerned about their image, is more likely to choose you wiht the fancy truck, and professional image. I guess it works both ways.
  5. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would say your odds are better going with the professional image route. While you may loose a couple of customers I think you will pick up far more having a company that people can trust, that has insurance, nice equipment, custom logo, etc..
  6. dwc

dwc LawnSite Senior Member

Normally the customer know's what they want. If they want a professional looking lawn with a dependable company to back it up, they will go for the professional looking company. If they want the grass hacked down every now and then, then they will call Ralph and provide him with some extra beer money.

I do think some people think "ralph" would be cheaper and I am sure he would. It just always amazes me that at the beginning of spring around here, there will be 20-30 ads in the paper of mow - $15. Let me mow your grass. $20. And so on. Yeah they are probably cheaper, but come about July when "ralph's" mower is broke guess who they call. :)
  7. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

If someone is going to overlook me because they perceive me as being "to professional" and would rather pay Ralph just because he is cheaper, then so be it. Most customers that feel that way are probably just PITAs anyway.
  8. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Amen to that..most potential clients from YP ads are only looking for bottom price anyway. Our YP ads are just a compulsory in the grand design of things.
  9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

yes, you are absolutely correct. i love these guys, they just have to throw around the term "professional", i think it helps them feel better about themselves. "professional lawnboy", is like "fat free bacon". or like, "a tall midget". and i think the customer percieves too much "professionalism" as a form of retardation, or...well, like my friends mom said....we were like 14 yrs old, and he wanted to start a landscaping business. he would sleep eat and drink landscape business, 24 hrs a day, that's all he would talk about, "the business." one time i was over there, and he said it, "the BUSINESS is going to really take off this spring." his mommy laughed, and patted him on the head, and said, "i think it's so CUTE when he says "business", it's like he really believes he's a real businessman." that's how i feel about these "professional image" guys. they roll up to a house with a $40,000 truck, a trailer, and 30 grand worth of equipment. then the customer says, "how much to cut the grass?" and they reply, (in a little mouse like voice) " $25 dollars a week."
  10. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

A thread like this is such bait for you, isn't it?