1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Canadian Geese

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mountain man, Feb 10, 2000.

1. mountain man

mountain man LawnSite Member

We just finished a landscape/turf installation job around a new pool. Now some Canadian Geese have moved in and keep coming back. The home owner now is running them off by chasing them but they come back. You can't kill them since we are in the city limits and would face huge fines if we tried. This is a good customer and I don't want to have to hassle with replacing turf and new plants that are damaged. Hopefully, someone has some ideas. <p>On a side note, I have scared off woodpeckers in the past by putting out a rubber snake, but this does not work for geese.
  2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

geese are a problem, better watch your step!<p>have you tried an owl? stick it where it's visible and move it frequently. unfortunately, there is always a chance that the owl might draw crows.<p>otherwise, sounds like you need to use a stock dog such as a border collie. they'll go straight for the geese and problem solved. unless, of course, the dog creates a problem. good luck.<p>GEO
  3. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello MtMan. First a little suggestion: if you could indicate your location in your message, profile or signature, you will get more regional specific answers. This forum is only few months old and has members from US Canada & Australia already. <p>Two recent innovations I am aware of:<p>http://www.bird-x.com/products/sbxpel.html<br>http://www.flightcontrol.com/<p>The Bird-X unit is $500. It's a programmeable sonic alert, basically a recording of species distress calls. You select the species and the frequency of action. Flight Control is labor intensive; it is a repellant applied to turf areas, must be repeated. I haven't used either or seen any university test results on either. <p>Best wildlife manual I've found, from Univ of Nebraska, doesn't even try on geese. Suggest you check with your state extension offices before trying either or any other means.<p>CAN'T KILL GEESE anywhere in US except during hunting season. They are a federal protected species, and the same in most states. Also there are special rules for ducks: can try to chase off ducks by destroying nest until eggs are laid. A duck nest with eggs has state & federal protection. (But not from the racoons)<p>----------<br>Jim<br>North central Indiana<br>
  4. cutntrim

cutntrim LawnSite Senior Member

Hey now,<p>Don't be shootin' our national bird now. Geese are a big, messy problem in our municipal parks up here. They're a protected bird with no real natural predators to speak of within cities and towns. Now and again a town will round up a few hundred of them and relocate them. <p>Tell your customer to get a dog. &quot;Geogunn&quot; is right, border collies love to chase geese.<p>----------<br>Dave in S.Ontario<br>
  5. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Correction: Bird-X unit is a recording of predator sounds, and just came across old ad for a smaller unit for $230. (Less range)<p>You could also check with golf courses around you. They have to keep them away.<p>Maybe we could start a national drive to return them all to cutntrim? :)<p>----------<br>Jim<br>North central Indiana
  6. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I too live in Ontario and know these dirty birds.In our city we have alot of them but they mainly stay by the river going through our city.I have a couple of products that might help you out.One product is called the bird banger.It is basicaly a air pistol that fires out a cap of some sort that either makes a bang or a screaming sound.Weither this would be legal in town I don't know.An other is a product called Garlic Barrier.You add it to water and spray it over the lawn and garden.They say that the product does not harm any plants or lawn.There are a couple more products in this catalogue I have.Call 1-800-874-4755.This is not a catalogue order line(I could not find one)but if you call this line you can ask about the products they sell.I'm sure when you call this line that you can get the number to order the catalogue.<p>I hope this helps!<p>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care<br>
  7. jrblawncare

jrblawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Something you can try now and may work...tie a few feet of string to a stick with an aluminum pie plate on the end of it,place a few of them around the site.
  8. Try a cheap Daisy bb gun. Silent and you<br>won't kill them unless you go for head shots.
  9. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

I was going to go with the BB gun suggestion but I see Stone already beat me to it. I would go to Lesco or another chemical supplier, they should have something which makes the geese uncomfortable or maybe a scent that repels them. I also like the dog idea. My dog sure would like to chase geese all day. And when she caught one and some government person showed up on your doorstep then you could just say &quot;dogs will be dogs&quot;.
  10. JJ Lawn

JJ Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Larry, your suggestion of shooting Geese with a BB gun, even if you don't kill them is right up there with applying herbicide and insecticide without a licence. <p>Canadian geese are migratory birds that are protected by federal and state laws, and any harm done to them can and will probably result in heavy fines or jail time, or both.<p>There was a nationally publicized incident a few years ago about a golfer that killed one with a golf club. He got into a lot of trouble.<p>I would suggest that you put your BB gun back in the closet before some bird watcher drops a dime on you.<br> <br>Also would suggest that you go back to your own forum if you want to spread misinformation.<p> <br>jim <p>