Canadian Gov Funded Summer Student Employment (Free Worker)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Canadian GreenScape, Jul 6, 2004.

1. Canadian GreenScape

Canadian GreenScape LawnSite Member

Its my understanding that the Canadian Goverment will pay most of summer students wage (has to be going to post secondary education in the fall) if you employ them for 40h/week. Does anyone know of this program? It sounds good to me.. top off their wage to make it competitive and have a cheap helper for the summer. :blob3:

2. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

sounds like alot of flaws can happen. imo....

example....

father owns construction company. his kid is 16. the father has him on payroll for working 40hours a week when the kid has never lifted his finger or been in the truck... kid get money for doing nothing....

seems like it could be bad in the long run.... but it can be hella good for you!

3. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Damn canucks. Their govt is rediculous. That is the next thing that KERRY clown will want to implement in America. OH WAIT...we do. we pay for the damn homeless folks food and they dont even work.

trevor

4. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

Trevor

I have agreed with you on a few things and even backed you a couple of times.

But this statement quite possibly is the dumbest ass thing you have ever typed.

There will always be people in the world that are less fortunate than the rest of us and will need a helping hand. It has been this way since the beginning of time, even without government intervention. Part of being a decent human being is the willingness to help those that don't have the same advantages as you. Time to grow up man

5. Trevors Lawn Care

Turf,
    You have agreed with me in the past, and i thank you for it. I am not opposed to helping the less fortunate..I have one employed for me at this time...HE'S MY OLDER brother! When i wrote that comment i should have been more specific about which people i was talking about...I will offer no help EVER to someone who is to lazy to get a job and is only willing to take money from our taxes to feed themselves. Or the mother who is single but continues to have children and can not feed them. You have seen them, the moms who arnt a hair over 20 but already have 4 or 5 children. I am as fas right wing (i think its right wing) conservative that anyone will ever meet. I am sorry if i offended you sir, but these are my beliefs...they are the only thing that cannot be stripped of a man, and i will always hold on to mine.

trevor

6. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

turf medic, what you said is true, but, I think trevor is talking about the people who are not activly seeking a job and are just sitting back and taking what they can get.

I don;t mind helping somebody get back on their feet but do mind when there not trying to better themselves or get a job.

sorry about the post, trevor just posted while I was typing.

7. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

I used to feel the same way. I have had opportunity to work with a few homeless "lazy" people over the last few years and that has really changed my perspective. You don't always know where they are coming from, they can look totally normal, yet have mental problems or illness that prevent them from working. Not my job to judge if they are lazy or not. Just a fact of life that there will be people less fortunate than the rest of us. A lot of people in the good old USA are one paycheck or less from living on the street. Don't know how much hiring you have done, but it's tough to justify (to your employer) hiring someone whose address is behind a McD's, or hasn't had the resources to bathe or wash clothes in a while. Once these people fall through the crack it's near impossible for them to get back out, no matter how much they want to get a job.

Trevors comment was directed at a program that the Canadians set up that allowed a business owner to have an employee at a reduced rate of expense. Sound a lot like the new deal program that was set up in the 30's by Roosevelt, this program put people to work on government projects, and helped revitalize the economy.

Main difference being that the Canadians are also helping the business owner justify hiring an in-experienced employee by helping with the wages.

A program like this was in effect several years ago for displaced farmers, employers were reimbursed wages and any reasonable training expenses, the employee was provided with equipment need to do the job, ie tools. And even though the employer was reimbursed he was still allowed to claim the entire amount as an expense for taxes.

8. Trevors Lawn Care

On a side note...it sounds to me like the canadian govt has to much extra money laying around. Maybe they should send more troops to Iraq/Afgahnistan.

trevor

9. clcare

clcare LawnSite Member

I have never heard of that program but there are some programs to subsidize wages while an employee gets trained.

And ya the canadian gov. has too much money and the they can't keep their paws off the taxpayers wallet long enough to realize they are killing our great country. To bad the U.S. took the wrong country all they had to do was ask and they could have had ours with noooo resistance.

10. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

i dont mind helping out homeless people if they are seeking help and a job, but what pisses me off are the people who drive caddies and have food stamps but yet are on welfare, so whos paying for their caddy. their welfare checks, where does that money come from, OUR TAXES!!!!