Canadian new home owner...questions

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Nipsy, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Nipsy

Nipsy LawnSite Member

Hi all. First time poster with some real "newbie" questions.

I live in Alberta Canada (not sure how many Canucks post here :D ) and I'm curious the type of fertilizer recommended for spring/summer/fall. The numbers listed aren't clear to me so clarification would be much appreciated.

Is there an advantage to mulching over bagging and how often should one mulch?

Being that we're just seeing the last of our snow now, is there a better time to first apply fertilizer? Is a weed and feed recommended? I have used Scott's mostly since we purchased the home last fall and applied it just before winter. I also has my lawn aerated in the fall. The grass was fantastic in late fall and I'd like a great start this spring.

Thanks in advance and I appreciate any help.

Steve

2. Nipsy

Nipsy LawnSite Member

14 people have viewed this and yet nobody knows the answers to these questions?

I'm a professional in a totally different industry and frequent many forums to give support. Guess it's a little harder being on this end of it and trying to gather good information.

Am I not in the right forum for these sort of questions? :confused:
    Even a post telling me to bugger off would be fine. :)

Steve

3. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Steve, you will find a great debate regarding mulching versus bagging, but one thing I keep hearing is that for our area up here in the NW bagging becomes more of a necessity than in other areas. I took over one property that had been mulched for a few years and it took a month of bagging to pick up all the excess mulch that hadn’t decomposed. It had actually kept the grass from filling in.

Look for a cool season, complete fertilizer this time of the year. I’m using one currently that has 22% nitrogen, 3% phosphate, 9% potassium, 9% sulfur, and 1.5% iron. The 22% nitrogen is actually 14% slow releasing nitrogen with 8% quick release. There are different ways of how nitrogen is released. A quick release nitrogen fertilizer such as ammonium sulfate will green the lawn up quickly but will only be temporary, will tend to build up excess thatch, and could burn the grass if not immediately watered in. Slow release is healthier for the lawn, lasts longer, less prone to burn the grass, but will not green up as fast. The weed and feed type of fertilizer may be okay, but I’d check the percentages.

In summer, a general-purpose fertilizer such as 12-12-12 is often used. What I use is around 22-8-12. The 22% nitrogen with half of that being slow release. In fall, I’ve been buying fertilizers high in K (potassium) because it increases resistance to cold.

Sulfur acts like nitrogen, and there are also micronutrients that are important, such as iron. And, many fertilizers with iron will actually cause rust spots on cement, so be careful around walkways, drives, patios, and so forth.

4. Nipsy

Nipsy LawnSite Member

Some great information there CC and I appreciate you taking the time to address my questions.

Steve

5. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Nipsy ...I rarely have a look in this forum. Welcome. I'm right in your back yard.
    Mulching is the way to go IMO.

6. Nipsy

Nipsy LawnSite Member

Thanks Kris. When you suggest mulching, does that mean you recommend it EVERY TIME you cut? Does the recommendations CC gave change with our location IYO?

Does that not plug up the base and prevent nutrients and moisture from entering?

Why'll I'm here, is anyone familiar with maple bladder gall mite disease? It produces round red bumps all over the leaves. I've heard there's an oil that can be used. Anyone familiar with this?

For trimming trees, does the time of year matter or is it primarily dependant on the type of tree? Are there specific trees that can't be pruned in spring and is there a good link to help me in this regard?
    (I got a million of 'em :D )

Thanks again.

Steve

7. kris

from nowhere

Questions Questions ... LoL Now I know why I don't come here...it's like work.

Okay ... you can dethatch your lawn if the thatch becomes to thick. The benefits of mulching far out weigh any thatch buildup.

maple bladder gall mite ... your almost to late so do it this weekend. yes, buy a dormant oil ,mix it up attach to your hose and spray down the tree. Your success will depend on how well you cleaned up the leaves last fall because what happens is that the leaves fall off the tree and any that survived the winter will crawl back up the tree. So ...rake up all your leaves and spray the tree with the dormant oil

next ...pruning ... you know you can't prune any Elms you have now .. city bylaw to help the spread of dutch elm disease(end of March was the deadline) Your getting a bit late to be pruning others but for sure don't do any Maples or Birch, they should be done latter when they leaf out. If you do it know they will bleed allot . Birch could very well bleed right to death.

Steve I like to remain anonymous on here because( otherwise I'd give you our number). I use this site as a place to unwind and I act like an ass at times. I also enjoy getting these Americans wound up from time to time :)
    Feel free to ask away here ... Ill try to help you out.

8. Nipsy

Nipsy LawnSite Member

I was going to send you a cheque for your time and advise but your decision to remain anonymous prevents me from doing so! :p

Just knowing that I appreciate your advise is payment enough I'm sure!:D

I did make the mistake of trimming a maple in my backyard couple of days ago. The kids said the tree looked like it was crying. :D I figure a couple of band-aides should do the trick.
    :D

I do appreciate the help. I'll stop trimming the trees now.... ;)

Steve
    srsb@shaw.ca

9. kris

from nowhere

Yes it is ...

not bad weather eh. I used the day to get my own yard cleaned up. Next week we will start on a couple construction jobs and cleanups will be going full tilt.
    Have a good Easter.