Canadian Thistle

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Indydirtfarmer, May 18, 2005.

1. Indydirtfarmer

Indydirtfarmer LawnSite Member

Yesterday I got a call to look at a horse pasture/lawn (yep!) that was clean of most all weeds EXCEPT for a BUNCH of Canadian Thistle. I've got the recommendations of several chemical companies, but would like the "hands-on" experience recommendations from those who have actually dealt with this nasty weed.

What's "THE BEST" way to get rid of it? (Round-Up is NOT an option.... Owner doesn't like that idea.....)

Thanks in advance,
    Bill

2. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

Bill,
    Thistle is only tough to handle, not to kill. Just about any blended broadleaf control is going to carry it on the label at less than maximum rates. Now, if it's five feet tall already, mow it down first, wait a week then go ahead and wipe it out. Being a (hopefully former) horse pasture, remember that the seeds have been plenty spread and well fertilized and so you may face quite a few generations of the weed before you get the lawn thick enough to out compete it. DO NOT have this property sprayed if horses are still feeding in there. They will have to be rotated out to other pastures for the year.

3. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

Stinger is excellent on thistles. Better than Roundup. You would probably have to go to an Ag Supply dealer. Do not cut the thistles before you spray. The bigger the plant the more herbicide you can apply to it to get at its root system. You probably will need a couple applications. Late fall would be an excellent time for a followup treatement.

4. blkberry

blkberry LawnSite Member

Try Curtail, works great for pasture applications.

5. GreenUtah

from SLC, UT

Actually, you do want to cut it, even though the larger plant gives you more leaf surface to bond to. You want the plant to be in a vigorous grow mode for full uptake. Cutting it will force it to do just that. Ask your local noxious weed control board what they think of spraying on full sized thistle and just getting leaf curl.

6. Grandview

from WI

Thistles in Indiana are probably growing good now. Here they are just getting started. I wouldn't mow now to get that effect. That might be true if they are three feet tall. Now I would take the extra leaf surface and apply Stinger.i

7. GreenUtah

from SLC, UT

that's why I said " if they are five feet tall" lol

8. Grandview

from WI

I missed the five feet part.

9. JoeinJasper

JoeinJasper LawnSite Member

Are there currently horses on this pasture/lawn? (I actually do have customers that allow their horses to graze around the house.) If so, then check with the local county extention service for their recomendations...there are several products that can be used on active pastures- Grazon, Weedmaster and, Crossbow will kill most any weed safely.