Canadian working in USA

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by francois, Jan 14, 2005.

1. francois

francois LawnSite Member

Hi,

I do landscaping here in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. During our long winter, we do snow removing. Instead of removing snow, is it possible for us to work in the USA? What paperwork do we need? Can my Canadian company legally work in USA? Can my company hire Canadians even if they are not officers in the company? Do we have to pay income tax in the USA or in Canada for money earned there?

Which is the nearest city from Montreal where we can do landscaping all year round? At first, I think it would be easier for us to work by the hour for another contractor since I don't know any supplier or customers in the States.

What can be the going rate (approx.) for my team witch consist of me, licensed construction entrepreneur, 3 years landscaping formation, 10 years experience, My brother, one year formation, 6 years experience and an helper with four years working with us. I would bring my xt40 with pallet fork and my service truck (compaction equipment, couple saw, levels, laser, hand tools)

Here we do complete landscaping: excavation , paver, steps retaining walls, natural stone, sod and tree nstall . What we don't do is working with water: irrigation and ponds

I also have a 10 wheeler truck and a backhoe loader that are available but I don't think it is a good idea at first since we don't know where to buy material or dump excavation surplus.

Of course, this is just a project that may certainly never come to reality as anticipate there will be a mountain of paperwork...

Thanks for any Hints,

Francois

2. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

How far are you willing to travel? You will probably have to trek at least 1000 miles to get to any kind of wather that is different from yours. In fact, right now we have snow everywhere except for the northeast, but most of our suppliers close or reduce inventory for the winter so doing projects becomes difficult.

Chris

3. francois

francois LawnSite Member

1000 miles would bring me near Atlanta, and after checking weather.com, it is not that hot (even near freezing point some days)

Is the nearest summer only state is Florida, some 1300 miles away from me?

Thanks

Francois

4. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Like I said, most areas are freezing right now. Even Texas has 13 " of snow last week. Florida may be your best bet, but it also has a very high concentration of landscapers. W/ your travel and all you probably couldn't compete price wise.

Chris