cancel high risk customer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jun 17, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

the other day i was accused of breaking a window. i sincerely thought i most definitely did not break it. the ins company paid for it. they also said this would not effect my coverage, my price, or my ability to renew next season. he did say that before renewel, the insured is evaluated, and if there are too many claims, or the insured seems like a neglegent person, they will raise you, or drop you. so far (only one claim) this is not the case. the property where the alleged incident occured, has alot of rocks along the edges of the walkways, and along the back bed edges. in fact, while i was edging the back beds, the rocks were flying everywhere. there is a major potential here for another broken window, or some kind of damage. this property definitely falls into the "high risk" category. do you dump high risk properties?

2. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

We break windows ans sometimes don't even hear it. I have a property that also has rocks all over the place, I told the customer that edging areas, and rocky areas are going to be treated with round-up in order to avoid another broken window.

3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Tack on a surcharge and pick up all the rocks. :waving:

4. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

What they tell you and what they will do at your next renewal are two different things! You seem to forget that Insuranve salesmen are in the same class as attorneys and used car salesmen. Be careful what you claim because it can and will come back to bite you in the butt.

5. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

I have pondered this very thing recently.

Not long ago we broke a window. There is no doubt we broke it and we will pay for it.

However, the place was full of rocks....a ton of them. Is it my fault that they have a crummy yard with a bazillion pebbles and rocks....NOT!!!!

But, business wise, what do you do?

6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

IS the potential profit worth the potential loss? If yes, you do them carefully, if not you drop them!

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Marko Speaks the truth and nothing but the truth in the above statement. Insurance is for major problem. Pay the for the window out of your pocket and write it off as a cost of doing business. Use the insurance if there was person standing behind the window and they got hurt.

I would hate to be paying New Jerky or New Oin er insurance rates. I believe that part of the country in sue crazy. 80% of the worlds lawyer are licensed in the USA. I think 80% of those are in The North East chasing ambulances.

8. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Bobby if you have enough customers or your turning work down then let them go and fit in a low risk prop in place of it. Next time it could be a paint job instead of just a window. My contract now states that we will not trim rocky areas if anything is around such as a vehical, people or buildings. Had a great one yesterday. Tennant at a duplex complexi service put up one of them bg wal mart inflatable pool and wanted to know why I didn't trim around it lol.

Don't take risks that aint needed. Drop em if you can before it costs you your insurance coverage.

9. Wanna B.

Wanna B. LawnSite Member

I think a disclaimer would be reasonable.