Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rixtag, Nov 2, 2001.

1. rixtag

rixtag LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lehi Ut

Well... it happened.

I received a letter from a property manager saying that the contract was canceled. I am totally surprised as I haven't had any complaints from them concerning my work. I don't know the reason why yet. I am still waiting for that. I know one thing, I am a wreck because of this. It was completely unexpected. I am seriously thinking about not doing any more commercial props because of this. I have never experienced this and I am completely freaked out about it.

Background: It was the first commercial property I ever bid on and I have had it for 3yrs without having to bid. In fact I had just sent a letter thanking them for the great service and business they had provided me and asked them to sign me for 3 more years. The two letters apparently crossed in the mail!

I am so tore up I could ______ :blob2: !!!

What have you all done in this case? I really need some other points of view. I will post when I find out the reasons.

I am, oficially, off the soap box now.

2. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Was your contract coming to an end any time soon? If so you were probably out bid.

Join the group. This occurs alot with property managers. Only one thing is usually on their minds and that is the lowest price.
  3. stick9

stick9 LawnSite Senior Member

That is actually a fairly common practice when businesses change their management structures ....

We serviced multiple Bob Evans restaurants around this area for years and years ... in fact, they received numerous beautification awards from the township/cities that they were in respectively! Well last year, the management changed ... and they were looking to cut - CUT - CUT!!!! expenses! Well, we were the first to go (at least from my point of view :)) and lemme tell you .. we don't miss 'em a bit! I don't miss having to take 10 minutes picking up trash prior to cutting (and worrying about pricking myself with a used hypodermic needle!) I don't miss having to deal with all of THEIR customers who are constantly in the way! I don't miss having to smell that horrible, rancid dumpster smell that I grew so accustomed to!

Don't fret over it, man ... pick whichever you enjoy doing more and stick with 'em (commercial or residential) .. we prefer residential .. and therefore we do about 95% res/ 5% (+/- 1%) commercial!

4. dhicks

dhicks Member

Things like this happen... Somebody beat your current offer, that's all. Have no fear, you can always find a new client and ones that pay better, too.
  5. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, it does happen. You may find out that the new maintenance folks, while well-meaning, may not be as good as you were. And you may get it back. Don't turn down commercial just because you got blind-sided. Press on.
  6. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

sorry 'bout your being put in the can.

as this is a dog eat dog business, you deserve to find out what's going on.

you'll feel great respect for yourself if they have gone with a lowballer and you can tell them that you hope they are happy because there aint no way you're gonna work for lowball money.

good luck.

7. CommercialCuts

CommercialCuts LawnSite Member
    from Mo

Dont take it personally, all i do is commercial work and this happens every year. When i first started it was hard to stomach but now i know its just low ballers givin the work away.

Loosers make excuses!!!!
    Winners Make it Happen!!!!
  8. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Rick it happens. Its hard to swallow at first, and it doesnt get any better. So cheer up.
    I lost my frst complex to a low baller, but I still havnt given up. I go by the prop every week. The property manager asked the site forman why I cam by every week, she is friends with the low baller. So I guess I am making her nervous. I call the owner to complain about the low ballers work ever so often. Maybe I will get it back maybe not but I am still trying.
  9. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

We've all been through this. Another landscaper came in and probably offered a better price. That's business. If the leaves was included in the contract or anymore lawn cuttings, then bill them for them. They have to honor their contract. Don't get burnt, burn them. Good luck.
  10. rixtag

rixtag LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lehi Ut

Lonestar: They typically have not bid until Feb or March. For the last 3yrs no bids at all.

Thanks everyone for your support. I do appreciate it very much.

I still haven't heard the reason why yet. I will post when I know.

Thanks again.