canceling services after no payment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by smarino21, Feb 16, 2007.

1. smarino21

smarino21 LawnSite Senior Member

how long do you guys wait before you stop cutting there lawn if they dont pay you ? I was wondering because I have cut peoples lawn for the whole year and not collected payments then i had to chase them for $600-$800 in Feb. You guys let them go like 60 days then stop cutting or what?

2. 2menandamower

2menandamower LawnSite Member

A full season???? No way. I might give them a month if they are not there when I cut. If I am there and they see me and they are by the cut customers I expect to paid that day. I will let it slide for maybe a month but no way a full season....

3. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

You must have a lot of money if you can go a full season with out collecting money. I will usually let it go 14 days after I send out an invoice. If I don't get anything after 14 days I am on the phone with the customer tracking down the payment.

This means I usually have the payment in the bank no more than 45-50 days after services where completed. Most of the payments are received much sooner though as some customers mail me a check every week.

4. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

2 months tops. After 45 days, I start calling though. If it's a residence I stop in when I know they will be home to collect on the spot.

5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I have taken it to the next billing period. Then they only owe me for two months.

Then i collect and put them on, leave the check in the mail box on each cut. no money no cut just like if you didn't pay your cable bill--- no tv tonight.

6. Mountain Peak

Mountain Peak LawnSite Member

I'm two months as well. You can't pay them to do work on their property. If they start to pay late I'm at a point where I can drop customers now, weed out the bad apples.

7. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I only give 30 day's from the date of billing after all I have bills of my own to pay.

8. wnccutter

wnccutter LawnSite Member

Generally, I expect payment within 15days of the invoice billing...

...and I never tell a client that I am going to cut or stop their service...I just smile and say that it is our policy to "suspend our visits"...and that as soon as we recieve payment we are "anxious to resume our visits"...

...it is the art of being persistent and nice that works the best...or so it seems to me...

9. Chynoweth

Chynoweth LawnSite Member
    from UT

Invoice is due in 15 days. After one full season in business have never had a problem collecting payments. I guess my time will come, but this is good info so I'll know what to do when I have that customer who does not pay.

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

How long you wait depends on the customer.....we have a set of long time customers that will it go until the end of the year. But eventually they pay. Now you can almost be sure that if you stop service they will get another guy. So we simply increase the bill the next year to compensate for them being late and continue.