cancellation fee?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scenic Lawnscape, May 18, 2004.

1. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape LawnSite Senior Member

Do you guys put a clause in your contract that if customer is hiring you to do a service and they cancel after 2 cuts because it was 6 inchs long and now that i get it down to manageable heights, they decide to cancel. This has happened 3 times this year, I get a call for a huge yard and i get there and its 6 inchs long, so i give them a price to do WEEKLY cutting and after i triple cut it for 2 weeks to get it looking good, they cancel and tell me they are going to do it them selfs. Should I be putting a clause in the contract?? If so how much

2. Scenic Lawnscape

guess not, i thought there would be

3. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont have one. The only time i would call for a termination fee is if it was a 1 year contract. All mine are cancel at will. I havnt had any do what you're describing though.

Trevor

4. lawnmedic1

lawnmedic1 LawnSite Member

I would love if all my lawns were 6" tall when my crews show up. Mowing at 3" means we only have to remove 3". Our equipment will make those lawns shine on a single pass. We still have half of our lawns growing at 1" per day!!! Chuck

5. TROTTMAN

TROTTMAN LawnSite Senior Member

Topgun...

If you are doing real contracts (like both parties both signing and agreeing on certain terms) then I would certainly put in a cancellation clause. I would make sure they don't cancel it for several months.

However, if you are like me, and only have 1 real contract, just charge more for the initial job (I call it a clean up job for really tall/overgrown lawns) and then tell them once the lawn looks better I will charge them less.

I also charge more for every 2 week jobs because that gets really old. Some lawns really cannot be done that way so I charge really high if I have to haha.

Hope that helps.

6. Scenic Lawnscape

what i ment was there 6" + inches to cut to get it managable lenghts

7. lawnmedic1

lawnmedic1 LawnSite Member

We list those as bush-hogging or spring cleanups. both charged by the man hour including hauling and dumping fees...Chuck

8. TROTTMAN

TROTTMAN LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, what lawn medic said. Charge them extra when its too tall or when the edging has gone for way too long and is overgrown.

9. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

++++Charge them extra when its too tall or when the edging has gone for way too long and is overgrown.++++

I've lost a lot of new potential business over that. You start talking about charging what you need to cover the first cut and you start talking real money real fast.

The alternative is to either have a cancellation fee or just hope they don't cancel after a few cuts.

I've gotten away with charging up to 50% extra on the first cut, but if you start talking about charging much more than that, they usually won't bite. And it can take 2 to 2.5 times to mow/edge/trim a lawn that's extremely overgrown.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

10. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

In the past my thought was that I'd eat the initial cost of clean up and only charge a regular fee just to get the account. But soon I learned that people are not truthful when they say they want regular service, and they either quit after it looks good or don't call back.

Now I tell them, "One a regular basis I will charge you $___, but the first cut is going to cost you $___. That way we both know where we stand, and if I do the work I get paid. I guess I just look at those jobs as one-timers. If they want contiuned service, well that is just a bonus.