cancelling old company for new customers

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mrkosar, Jan 14, 2008.

1. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I was wondering if legally you can call another company to cancel for your new customers? It is a pain in the butt cancelling anything these days, so I was thinking about doing it for them to make the transition easier. Anyone ever done this? Is it even legal?

2. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

You got way to much time on your hands. Service agreements written and verbal are between the service provider and the customer and is none of your business. Period........It is your customers responsibility, I don't recommend getting involved.......

I got a question for you though, why would you be interested in this?

3. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

yeah, right now i do have a lot of time on my hands. i sit in bed at night thinking of ways to improve our service. if there is something wrong with that then i don't want to be right.

i was interested because i think it is a good marketing tool to be able to say we will take care of everything for you to switch over...sit back, relax, give us your money, and we'll take care of the rest. i bet a good amount of the time a customer might want to switch, but is too busy or lazy to go through the process of calling their old company to cancel.

making everything as easy as possible for the customers, present or potential, is not only smart, but a must as we continue to move toward greater fast food nation than already exist.

4. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i have had customers ask me to do this gotta love it

5. what would you do if some other company called you up and said mr. jones is dicontinuing your services, would you believe them, I sure wouldn't. Might want to go back to sleep and rethink this.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I've done this a few times for customers and sometimes, I've had to jump on the scumlawn mgr. because they came in and sprayed OVER what I have done - after they were terminated (we all know tey are good for this). However, I don't feel that this is a practice to take on as a habit. too much chaos could develop of this became an accepted practice. I CAN say this, and call it a double-standard if you will, but if someone other than the customer called ME to cancel their service, service would would continue as scheduled. Service agreement says CUSTOMER must cancel.

7. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

This happened to us. A local LCO sold out to TG years ago. Then this company changed its name (after their five year agreement with TG was over). Then they starting contacting our customers saying they were "back in business".:dizzy:

To me, this is as low rent as lying about how many years one has been in business.:hammerhead:

QUOTE=mrkosar;2098436]I was wondering if legally you can call another company to cancel for your new customers? It is a pain in the butt cancelling anything these days, so I was thinking about doing it for them to make the transition easier. Anyone ever done this? Is it even legal?[/QUOTE]

8. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

If another company called me to cancel for a customer, I would kindly remind them that my service agreement is woth my customer, and the customer must call to cancel. As a matter of fact, I would not discuss anything about my customers account with a third party.

Try calling any utility and say you need to cancel service for a family member, mother, father, ect, and see what they say.

9. Prolawnservice

Prolawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Same here, Its usually the older customers in adult communities, you want to help them out, but its never as simple as just giving the company your replacing a call.

10. (wi) Roots

(wi) Roots LawnSite Member
    from 9

Personally, if you have a good relationship with your customer there wouldn't be anybody involved in your business, however, if you done them bad expect it to show! Move on and fix your problem.