Cancels

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by colawncare, Mar 13, 2008.

1. colawncare

colawncare LawnSite Member

Just wondering on how everyone is doing with cancels this spring? We are down about 7% on our lawn care program customers. Any one worse or better? Most cancels have been for financial reasons, and with the economy I think there will be more, let me know what you think.

2. tlg

tlg LawnSite Senior Member

Cancels are running normal . Financial reasons in most cases. We did have a few customers that went to that great lawn in the sky. Three all on the same street. Kinda strange. Lost a few last summer in the middle of the season last year also. all were trying to cut cost. This was very unusual. Have not lost any customers to moving..... you can't give a home away in Michigan right know. You may be right about the loss of customers latter on in the season. It's not looking good for the economy any time soon. A national or world event could really hurt our fragile economy. Let's hope for the best and roll with the punches.

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Cancels are low, but still up a lot from last year. At least half cite financial or affordability reasons.

4. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Lost my first customer this year and he said he just couldn't take care of his lawn this year due to financial reasons.

Hope it is the first and the last...but not holding my breath.

Only good thing is, this customer would call me all the time and I could never get off the phone.

Now if he calls....I can keep it short and get the heck off.

5. group501

group501 LawnSite Member

We are currently at about a 2-3% cancel rate and have received about 30% of our renewals pre-paid for the season. We have more than made up for any lost accounts with up-sells on current accounts. We do anticipate losing additional customers before the season starts but they will more than likely be replaced. Our marketing had not hit yet and we have been running about 10 sales calls a week since the last week in February. I am hoping that 2008 shapes up to be a good year.

6. Frank Fescue

Frank Fescue LawnSite Senior Member

No cancels yet. One woman tried to cancel and I threatenedto take her to court for fraud. she learned...

7. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

We are actually about 5% ahead of last year. Prepays are about $7000.00 ahead of last year at this time as well. We actually sent our letters out about 10 days later than normal, but response has been running ahead all winter.
    I did read this weekend that University towns are not feeling the same pinch as the rest of the country, plus the midwest hasn't been affected as much either, so we are doing good on both poins

Doug
    Austreim landscaping

8. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

cancels are very low as every other year, but they seem to be completely financial this year, as everyone is feeling the big squeeze. some have lost jobs etc. but still a very low cancel rate, like less than 1%

9. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I lost more accounts today then I have lost in four years. I wanted to puke my guts out about noon today!

I just sent out a newsletter last week and just enought of a reminder that I had four people call today and cancel due to financials.

GOOD NEWS is.....I picked up two new accounts and both of them together are better then the four I lost.

I don't think it will be a bad year, but I don't think it will be great either!

I am ok with that though!

10. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

Cancels are about normal for us thus far. However estimates and sales are strong. I don't think I have had as many complaints against their old companys as this year though. I think homeowners are blaming LCO's for the drought damage from 2007.