1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

candy in flyers

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by adam5557, Mar 15, 2005.

1. adam5557

adam5557 LawnSite Member

Hey guys I am a young guy starting a business and this weekend I will be going door to door for jobs showing them my flyer and if they would like my service,BUT if they were not home i was thinking have my flyer in a small clear plastic bag and putting some candy in their along with my flyer.. does it sound good??gota get there attention some how?thanks
  2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

What kind of candy? No, I dont really care for the idea. If I got candy from someone I didn't know, I would be leary about it.. I would throw the candy away... just my 2 cents.
  3. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

i think you'll find that people would toss your candy in the trash if they don't know the source. that's just common sense, especially in this day and age.

besides, i stayed in birmingham for a stretch while doing consulting work for daimler. i think people there can afford their own candy... :)
  4. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

The dump I frequent has that's square gum in a box with there name and logo on it. If your going to do that you might think about getting something like that instead of candy. But I really have to go with Jodi on this one. I mean I know the people at the dump and it's in a sealed box. Candy from strangers? My mom warned me about that! LOL
  5. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm with everyone else: bad idea for two reasons.

One is that it'll creep some people out. Two is that if someone gets sick after eating the candy, they'll sue you regardless of whether it was the candy that made them sick.

Any advantages to offering candy? None I can think of. As the saying goes, if the potential for damage looks bigger than the potential for help, fuggedaboudit.
  6. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

Candy no good. Do you have a state lottery there? Perhaps you could purchase like a hundred $1 lottery scratch offs (or jackpot drawing numbers) and insert them in like one in every three bags with your flyer. Never know how a promo like that would turn out.. expecially if one of those people won like $100 or more. payup payup payup
  7. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

y'know, it just dawned on me that you might want to check with city hall to see if you need to pull a permit to go door-to-door soliciting or flyering. i live in an upscale area, not too different from birmingham, and it varies from illegal to requiring a permit and getting a "do not knock" list.

if you see brendan shanahan, tell him i said hi.
  8. Todd's lawncare

Todd's lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from P.A

They better split it with me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  9. amw

amw LawnSite Senior Member

if they broke their tooth, you would be paying the dentist bill...

I would forget about the idea, if you want to "give" something...why not magnets, everyone uses them, and they keep your info even if they dont need or want service yet..
  10. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

candy is a no no. try something else. i worked a deal with a few local car washes. There are a lot of good marketing ideas out there, but i don't think this is one of them. Good Luck. payup payup