canister air filter

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by carlriv, Apr 29, 2005.

1. carlriv

carlriv LawnSite Member
    from Mass

I Just bought 4 new Kohler 23 hp engines. My dealer suggested that I get the canister style air filters. Problem is they cost $300.00 each. I was also told that the reason they cost so much is to remain EPA compliant the kits include a new carb. The exact same carb that comes on the new engines. Has anyone bought the canister style filter, mounting bracket etc for the Kohler 23, and where did you get them, and for how much?

Thanks

2. mike76

mike76 LawnSite Member

The carbs are similar but the ones for the canister style filters have a pump on the side? Don't know why, but the heavy duty air cleaner is money well spent we have guys that have a 1000 hrs on there unit and are just now getting there second filter. Clean air means more power and longer life. I have put the Canister filters on older mowers and had no problems with plugs or anything else. As far as putting it on it takes about 30 minutes with just a couple of sockets, and a pair of pliers. The kit has clear instructions and clear pictures. But the decision is yours, my opinion is that its money well spent.

3. carlriv

carlriv LawnSite Member
    from Mass

Thanks for the info... My new motors have pumps on them, and my dealer said that the kits come with the EXACT same carb. I will be putting on new air filters, I just want to find the filter only, without the carb.