cannister air filters/pre-filters

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mdw, Sep 5, 2001.

1. mdw

mdw LawnSite Member

What is the value of adding a canister air filter system vs a prefilter such as the one offered by Enginaire?

What carb mods are needed for this type of change (23hp Kaw-vertical shaft)?

I don't see a Donaldson for the Kaw yet. Are those of you using Enginaire satisfied?

Thanks
    DW

2. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Someone made a post about engineaire, and I checked into a canister type for my 23 horsepower kawasaki and they don`t have one for them. They said it was something in the carb of the kawasaki motors. So I bought the precleaner . The filter stays pretty clean after mowing on my jobs. We will have to see how it does when the leaves start to fall. So far I am impressed with it!!! :D :D

3. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: hey guys, though a good idea, which i have retrofitted canisters to all my kohlers, there none aval. for kawi. The resaon being if you were to find one or rig one on, and you had eengine failure kawi, being difficult to deal w/ in the first place would void your warr. If you you close enough you'll see no kawi's with oil coolers or a second oil filter, this being it redices oil pressure to engine. hope i helped a little. if anyone would like info on the caniter type filter for a kohler just drop me an e-mail. Tony

4. capnfrantic

capnfrantic LawnSite Member

I retrofitted a enginaire precleaner for my 3205 cub with kaw 20 hp liquid cooled, it has done a great job. I recently ordered a kit for my 23 hp kaw and will let you guys know. Call Bill at Enginaire if you have questions, he is very helpful.

5. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

6. Jet boater

Jet boater LawnSite Member

Just installed a new Engineaire filter on my 25HP Kohler and seems to work OK. Only mowed once.

I bought the new VLR system they advertise on their website. They haven't put it on a Kohler yet so he said I'd be a test case.

The in-line VLR unit is supposed to have less pressure drop than a tangentailly mounted turbine unit.

Watch out when you tighten down the filter minder though. The brass insert in the molded housing didn't seem real rigid.

I'll post pixs sometime when I borrow a dig camera.

7. JLC

JLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

This must be what Dixie Chopper is using on some of their machines as the pictures on Enginairs website and Dixies website are the same.

8. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

The carb on the Kawasaki vents different to the Kohler. If a restrictive air filter is added to a Kawasaki the result will be a richer mixture, loss of HP and fouled plugs. The future generation of Kawasaki engines will address this issue.

The Engineaire system for the 19-23HP Kawasaki appears to be the way to go. We are going to do our own field testing during the next 6 weeks.

Oldtimer
    Pensacola, Fl.

9. mdw

mdw LawnSite Member

I going to contact Kaw and see if the Enginaire filter affects the warranty.

DW

10. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

I put an enganaire on my 22 Kohler still clean also changed muffler to a larger Kohler quiet one seems to have a few more hp
    On a Scag Sthm