1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cannot work, can you?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dmk395, Nov 29, 2002.

1. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

With the 5" or so of snow on the ground, I cannot get back out to do cleanups here in southeastern MA. Only have about 4 days more of this, hopefully monday I will be able to start doing some gutter cleaning and x-mas lights, although that may be in jeopardy too....anyone else having fun in MA ? lol
  2. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

I'm in central NJ and we've got only an inch, but everything on the ground is staying frozen... I was hoping to finish my cleanups this weekend.... Oh well...:mad: :mad:
  3. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I'm flying out to Foxwoods, this eary sat. am, will be in Mass tuesday then up to maine etc. Probably will stay in Mass 1-2 nites. see ya
  4. mowahman

mowahman LawnSite Member

You guys should consider yourselves lucky to have had 2 weeks more of clean ups than we had in Central NH. Storm on the 17th shut us down. Snow was the consistency of snow cones, leaves are frozen in. We did manage to get some leaves in 2 cemeteries blown and vacuumed up, but we also loaded about 1 yard of snow in that load. All this after we spent 4 weeks moving, changing, and building a new flat bed dump and hoist for the 3/4 ton, and changing the vac from tailgate to front mount to match the set up on the 1 ton. Not much of a return on the investment this year. We own it, so in the Spring, I'm sure we will make it then. Just can't wait to do leaves when they're stuck to the ground all wet and slimey, grass starting to grow and everyone asking " are you gonna do my leaves soon, my snow is melting"?
    Take a number or call someone else........we'll get there when we get there. And the fun continues.........
  5. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

We haven't been able to work since Wednesday either. Everyones got the day off today. If the snow isn't melted by Monday we're gonna start going through all of the equipment and cleaning it all up and getting ready to store it away. We've got a few small tree jobs to take care of...just cleaning up fallen branches mainly...nothing good. We haven't gotten into the xmas decorating yet because we've always been busy until mid December at least. Maybe this could be a start to something new?
  6. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Let's see, did cleanups Tuesday, salted commercial property lots Tuesday night due to an inch of snow that made things icy, did some equipment prep work Wednesday with skidsteer plow, ate turkey yesterday, and have a shrub trimming cleanup to do in a little bit here this morning. After that I'm winterizing all equipment for my cleanups will be done and I've had enough. Weird week with weather. Today it's supposed to be in low 40's, tomorrow low 20's. Today will be my last big hurrah probably for getting this stuff done and cleaned up. Yippeee! :)
  7. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

the above discussion of snow is one reason to favor a more moderate latitude.

I am working after it warms up but the leaves are wet and heavy and I am having to work for the bucks.

8. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Got just enough snow here to cover things over. It has been too cald for anything to melt so hopefull it will warm up a little this weekend so I can finish up next week. Pretty frustrating.:blob2:
  9. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

To continue our discussion, you sound like you already priced the job and are not working working at an hourly rate. Just wondering, since we've been kicking around this type of topic.
  10. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

dmk395 - We got 5 inches also and I'm pretty much shut down. I ran my tail off Monday and Tuesday before Wednesday's storm and did partial clean-ups for my regulars who I hadn't gotten to yet.

I removed the leaves from the "important" areas like front lawns and around buildings/beds, got the heavy areas where they would kill the lawn and made some piles to pick up later. I couldn't be picky, especially since I did some of them in the dark! I don't normally do it like this, but I'm glad I did.

Anyone else do this?