1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Canon or Nikon?

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by trailboss, Aug 23, 2009.

1. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Well it is about time Joey!
  2. perryk777

perryk777 LawnSite Member
    from IL

Whichever one you choose, do yourself a huge favor and buy the book "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. It was the best investment I made after I bought my D90.
  3. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Canon's can be good but I just switched to Nikon because my Canon is acting up. Plus I got the 1 + 3 = 4 yr. warranty thru Sam's Club. (if this one acts up, they get to replace it)
  4. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

SoCalLandscapeMgmt LawnSite Bronze Member

I would second this opinion. This is a very well written book and explains a lot of the concepts of exposure in an easy to understand way.
  5. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

I will 3rd this recomendation. It is an excellent book which has helped me a ton! Bought mine at Amazon
  6. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

7. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

if I'm not mistaken, the Nikon does not do video... but some of the low end cannon's do have video capability...

I have been looking at the D-60 as well. as the cannons, and the advantage goes to the cannon for the video...
  8. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

??My d60 will shoot videos ??? :confused:
  9. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

the nikon from my research it does stop motion video...but not regular video... Ihave been looking athe D-40 as well. sicne its cheaper and is basically the same camera

The D60 is just a D40 with more pixels, but slower shutter speeds with flash outdoors and less basic light sensitivity due to the smaller pixels needed to jam more of them onto the same-sized sensor.

EOS Rebel T1i adds remarkable Full HD video capture at resolutions up to 1920 x 1080. An HDMI port allows for quick connections to high definition TVs and monitors for easy viewing of your stills and video. but its not cheap. around 800 bills...
  10. pihta

pihta LawnSite Member

I'm agree with Tim and other guys. Brand dont matter - the main thing is your hands and vision. Modern cameras very close to each other in parameters. Both can use old lenses. Prices for lenses as I remember are near the same for comparable models.
    For night time shots you need a good tripod and a remote(!). Remote very important because you have to avoid any shakes when doing long exposures. You have two options - delayed shot and remote. Delayed shot takes too many time, so remote is very helpful.
    One thing that I read about Nikon and Canon is that Canon at high ISO levels(1600+) has more 'nicer' noise. But I use 400 ISO so this dont affect your choice.

I use M mode, set ISO to 400, set F-stop to 8-12 and adjust exposure time. Usually it in range 2-8 seconds.

I have Canon 30D.