Canopy on ZTR?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jimbo, Mar 5, 2003.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't like to wear hats, and I really got baked last year in the sun, so I have been thinking about buying or making a canopy for my ZTR.

Does anyone have one or know where you can buy one?

I have seen some cheap umbrella types but they are usually two tone and the worse colors possible. I dont want to look like some goof ball out there mowing a commercial prop.

Any ideas?

Jimbo

2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I've had cabs on garden tractors and they will catch alot of limbs and branches. I thought that either Kubota or Steiner had a canopy for their mid mount ZTR's (mounts on their ROPS).
    If it had a quick mount so you could take it on and off quickly it would be good on some areas but a total pain in others.
    What mower is it going on?
    Eric

3. Jimbo

Its going on a SCAG Tiger Cub...no ROPS. I was thinking about mounting it to the frame behind the seat.

Jimbo

4. Jimbo

I might have answered my own question. I did find one available at Sears but I think I can make one as good or better myself. What does everyone think???

07126248000-dv.jpg

5. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I think it looks fine, and you probably can make one yourself. Don't worry too much about looking like a "goofball", one of my guys regularly wears Hawaiian shirts, and my customers love it!

6. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I would definitely do something. Skin cancer is not something you want to get. If wearing a hat is out go with the sunshade and plenty of sun block.

Gravely_Man

7. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

8. Jimbo

Thanks HarryD!

I dont know why I couldnt find that one??? I dont think trees will be an issue because I dont get my Z under many trees anyway.
    Im not sure if a solid mount would be better or not? The wind might catch this one, and I know it would on the umbrella type.

I will check into this though. Thanks again.

Jimbo

9. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

How would a canopy hold up while being towed on a trailer at 50 mph. Unless it folds down EASILY, it would be a PITA.

10. Jimbo

Bob,

I agree completely! It would have to be quick mounting or foldable. I dont think I would want it on all the time anyway, but at 2:00PM in the middle of August I would want it on.

Jimbo