Can't apply nitrogen or phosphorus...

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by grass4gas, Nov 20, 2009.

1. grass4gas

grass4gas LawnSite Senior Member

After December 7th here in Delaware. I understand runoff issues and so forth, but come on, the ground here does not freeze until some time in January, but surprizingly it thaws overnite on February 14th, and the major LCO's are out applying. Go figure.:confused:

How about the rest of you who live in states that have freezing temps...do you have regulations on this issue as well?

Jack

2. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

not yet and better not get wind of it here, i try not to go that long anyways , i am done after todays work with all round 6, thanks to the weather. it rained and snowed many days in a row and shut us down so it prolonged the work getting done. sound familiar huh!

3. grass4gas

This started last year for our state, and it caught alot of us by surprise...you know how politics work. This past February 15th, it looked like everyone was out doing round 1. I don't start until March 1 and I usually finish up by Christmas.

What I did this year is get all my N/P requirements down on my early fall service...(I used to do a 75/25 split between the two)... and then apply some micros and potassium on my last round.

The other thing this law forced me to do is get my ornamental shrub ferts done early as well. I would usually do these on windy days or days when there was a chance of rain...not now.

I don't disaprove of the law, I just think the dates are a little out of wack.

Jack

4. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Could be worse, no N apps between 11/1 and 4/1 here. We had to do all of our final ferts last month, and doing pell. lime in the next few weeks as clean-ups are finished.

5. grass4gas

Yea, I fiqure the farther north you go the more this might be an issue. Is this for the whole state, or just the Norfolk and Sussex counties?

Anyone in the New England states have to deal with this?

Jack

6. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

HUMMM they never think it through all the way just do what we say
    rain has been a big pain this season

7. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

I have to say..yeah it may hurt some of the better guys, but it stops the yoyo's (which we all know is MOST of the industry) from doing too much harm. Wait till they figure out that 30% or more of that fert runs off or vloitizes even during the season....then what?

8. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

We just got a P ban except for soil test showing deficiency or new seeding. No fert at all from 12-1 to 4-1. Beginning 1-1-2011. What is next is what concerns me.

9. JWTurfguy

JWTurfguy LawnSite Senior Member

No lawn fertilization between 12/1 and 4/1 here in Westchester County, NY, effective this year. Also, a P ban similar to the one Turf Hokie mentioned (we're in neighboring counties). Originally, they were pushing for 11/1 to 4/1 like in L.I. but the green industry managed to pull off a small victory, pushing it up to 12/1. Strangely enough, the P ban includes organic sources of P such as biosolids (for now anyways), so with the stroke of a pen, when the P ban goes into effect in the summer of 2011, the lower-grade sludge organics will be in trouble unless they can somehow find a way to pull phosphorus out of poop.

The fine for violating the new fert application window is only 50 dollars (first offense, multiple offenses are no more than $150), so my guess is that most LCOs are going to just go about their normal business and ignore the law just like they ignore pesticide licensing, blower regulations, etc.

10. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

Where do you get that info from. All the studies I have seen when using a 50% slow release fert that nearly all of it is used and virtually none leaves the area from which it was applied.