Can't beat'em so I will join'em

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Twotoros, Aug 2, 2001.

1. Twotoros

Twotoros LawnSite Senior Member

Well it is beyond scrub city now. Must be at least 100+ out cut'n in a poor county of 265,000 people. When you devide out the homes that can afford service by the mowers it is mighty slim. I have got only one new job this season. Mind you I have a twenty $ min. Folks almost laugh at my bids. One guy called me over while loading up at a job on friday and wanted a bid. I said lawns on his street were between 25-35.(I have two there).He said his neighbor was doing it for fifteen.:( Well on monday I went to the state tax agency with my sales tax payment and asked to talk to an investigator. I explained about the unfair compitition etc and offered to take him out every day for as long as he wanted to point out these moonlighters and scrubs. Well you know what the bozo said, "we don't have the manpower blah blah" and that there was nothing that he could do unless I had names and numbers. I said would you put me on your payroll. I told him to mark his calander for sept 30th because that is when I will fold and will be in to settle up then.
    Note that I have removed my name and biz name from my profile and I will be joining the enemy and giving the shaft to all govt. agencies.
    I am down 33% in income this season and refuse to lower prices.
    Call me Mr. Scrub :cry:

2. Before you go underground call a few lawyers in town and ask if they will file an action against the state for you pro bono.

Some guys might just take it for the free publicity the action will generate.

3. powerreel

powerreel Banned

Gary Locke surcharge really bites the big 'un!!!
    I know several guys who as solo cash cuts do around 60k in the Seattle area. I say screw 'em....have they fixed the roads and put in the mass transit system like we voted for? Screw 'em and the feds too!!!!:angry:

4. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Extremely bad idea. Ever heard of supplementing your income? If this is what you want to do, I suggest that you keep doing (or begin doing) quality work and keep your prices where you can live off of them. I'm finding that I don't pick up quite so many accounts around here because I charge what I need to live. Should it come to the point that I need to do something else for a while to give the biz time to pick up strength, I will do that sooner than I will operate illegally.

Give it some thought. Maybe you need to think about adding some services on. Maybe you need to put out some fliers or doorhangers. Maybe you should sell your biz, move, and set up elsewhere. Why not go into hardscapes? I would think the competition is a lot less there. Plus you should be able to make more in profit. Perhaps landscape construction, ret. walls, etc. Just a few thoughts.

Good luck and God bless you.

5. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I did a post awhile back about the shear volume of lawn care people in our town. Here in mid season there is no let up. No massive sellouts in the paper. 100s of very nice outfits out there far out weighing the scrubs. With all the lay offs its only going to get worse. There is just not many options for work out there for these people

6. Twotoros

Twotoros LawnSite Senior Member

No jobs here either, hence scrubville. I am going in monday to settle my tax bill for july. Will even go so far as to cancel my phone and remove signs from my truck. This is war. Declared on the state and the scrubs. I will continue to pay fed taxes however. The state and the feds have no connection here. The clowns at the dept. of revenue (Wa. state) are lazy sob's and I spit their direction. If they ever try to card me I will deck 'em so hard it will keep him in his office forever. I am madddddd!!!!!!!!!!!
    If not for my recently widowed mother I would leave this hell hole. I am stuck in a catch-22. As for getting into other services they are all saturated too. Probably 30 landscapers,20 tree guys,20 hardscapers, 40 spray services and 5 guys that just do waterscapes. In a population of 265,000 which 3/4 are dirt poor and 20% who just get by, arrrgh.!!! :angry:

7. CSRA Landscaping

Hey bud, you're right. After all, any reason will do.

8. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

TwoToros:

This sounds like the "eskimo trying to sell ice cubes" proverb. :(

I hate to hear this has happened to you and I don't blame you for being angry. You pay your business taxes and fees and then are told by those who collect them that operators who don't need not worry about it as inforcement is futile...even though they are ruining your livelyhood and their tax base...and keeping the prices for all legit LCO's the same as it was 20 years ago in the process...:angry:

...and people wonder why incidents like Waco and Ruby Ridge happen????

All I can say is "Best of luck" to you in your war. From what I've seen this summer we all may be fighting it along with you soon.

Seems that every other vehicle has a lawnmower handle protruding from it.........and a hand-scrawled sign at every intersection proclaiming "Any Size Lawn Only $10!" :cry:

The common theory is that scrubs die off quicky. To bad that there are 3 more ready to replace him when it happens........

...keep fighting!!!:mad:

9. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I running into the same issues this year also. This year there are 4 new lawn care operators that live in my neighborhood. Three of the four are using Murry's and I know one of them is chargeing $15-20 per cut and accepting cash only, sucks! :angry:

10. CSRA Landscaping

Why not take the same principles that you've learned and used into another field? It's not like it would be all that complicated, I'm sure that there are some well-established companies that would be more than willing to buy you out, so that should eliminate whatever debt you have for your business. So you're free there. You should have a little extra cash left over from the sale of your business to get started in something else. Pick something. You like to build things? Want to go into the computer hardware or software field? You could easily contract yourself out to others in that field without having to work for 'the man' and thus relinquish all freedom.

It doesn't matter what you do, the principles of success are universal.

If you don't enjoy what you do anymore, find something that you do enjoy. You'll be happier and you'll make more money, too, since you spend time doing what you like to do.

There's absolutely no virtue in worry and fear. Take the energy generated by that and transfer it to planning and acting on your future, esp. if your family is depending on you!

It may sound cliché, yet it still remains true that the trials that we face are actually opportunities to grow. If you fail to overcome a trial that comes your way, it will eat at you for the rest of your life. You have what it takes to make things work - legitimately!

I'll be one of the first to agree that the deck is stacked against the small businessman. Yet we're instructed to obey the powers that be. Failure to do so, when there is actually a choice, will result in nothing but hardship because it's nothing but a stubborn spirit. You dig your heels in, clench your fists, and go for broke! Just like an impertinent youngster. Where's the victory in that? You get to tell your son or daughter on down the line how to cheat the gov't?

The real victory in a situation like this is to make the best of a less than perfect situation. Sorry for the long post but it's important for me to try to encourage others to do what's right. I've been steered back on track before by folks doing the same thing.