Can't believe she would ask me that!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by All_Toro_4ME, Oct 3, 2007.

1. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Pulled up to an acct yesterday to mow it. Finished the front no prob. Got to the back yard and was just about to engage the blades, and then the homeowners wife came running out telling me to stop and she needed to talk to me. She said there was a baby snake somewhere in the yard and to "be on the lookout" for it so I could bring it up to her and place it in some box she had. It wasn't a pet, just one that had migrated in from somewhere, but it sounded like she wanted it. She didn't even know if it was poisonous. Im thinking if I see that damn snake, I aint stopping, its history. But she held me up for 20 minutes telling me about that damn snake. What about you guys, ever been asked anything totally out of the ordinary for you to "keep an eye out for" in the backyard?

2. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

I would tell her I will let her know if I see it fly out the discharge chute.

3. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Actually, yes. One customer wanted to make sure I didn't run over her neighbor's cat?! Who apparently hid in the yard somewhere?! I never did figure that one out.

4. All_Toro_4ME

Now that is too funny.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds to me like an insanity, a sickness of the mind.

Like yourself I listen but more and more it's like "yeah uh huh"

I much prefer it when they let it out over the phone during the first call instead of waiting until I'm half through...

One can only hope it is an isolated instance, with some it is, a one time fluke, can happen.
    If that's all it is fine, but don't think of me as the basket to drop all of your cases into.

6. ExclusiveLawnCare

ExclusiveLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Hahaha thats crazy some people .....WOW.

7. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

I can kind of relate, because I try to avoid running over anything with my mower, if I can. Snake, frog, whatever. If I see a snake, I'll wait for it to move off, or move it myself. I'm not a nut about it. If I hit something without being able to avoid it, I don't fret about it, but it doesn't take me but a couple of seconds, for example, to let a toad jump out of the way when I'm trimming. I moved several box turtles while mowing an overgrown property a while back. Killed one I didn't see, which I hated.

Kind of like running over something on the road. If I can't safely avoid it, I doesn't really bother me, but I seldom hit anything, because most of the time, they can be avoided. Some people just don't give a crap and hit anything that is on the road. I feel it is just respect for other creatures.

As for the lady, she is probably just more sensitive about things like that than most people. I'd have just told her I would avoid the snake, if I saw it, which I would, but that many times it is impossible to avoid hitting something that is hidden in the grass.

8. Eric D

Eric D LawnSite Senior Member

I would have told her if I see it I'll move it..of coarse I'm not so sure I would see it.

edit - let's try to keep to the topic, please :) . Thanks, Mike

9. All_Toro_4ME

I never saw that snake btw. But she still asked about it after I was done.

10. Mrs. H

Mrs. H LawnSite Senior Member

We have one who calls occationally who wants David to make sure he doesn't run over the neighbor kids.

I know children are quick, but...he does generally try to avoid running over people.