Can't believe winter is half done....

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by Florida Gardener, Jan 15, 2012.

1. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

I'm just glad all my classes are Horticulture/landscaping classes. What I learn in class can be put right to work in the field.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

:cool: ZYDECO! :cool:

Can you give me some links describing the classes you are taking? My #4 son has joined the business and he would like to take some college courses at night.

3. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Check with your local communtiy college. Mine has a great Horticulture Program. They dropped the degree program, so I will have a Certificate of Technical studies in Horticulture. But I will prolly get a degree in business management with a concentration in Hort.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

Jvanvliet - Here is one that Ric recommended to FL-Landscapes I believe and he and Ric both recommended to me. The course is simple enough but what I liked about it was it was a COMPLETE course offering both information on not only our warm season turfs but also cool season turf as well. Although I doubt I will be able to recall all the information if I was ever forced to go back up north I feel it would be easier to recall as it has already been introduced.

The course is self study and can be done at your own pace. They give you one year I believe to complete it and if you would need I know a extension is available but I am not sure for how long. That is a big plus because in my case spring happened upon me before I knew it and I did not get it done going into summer. I was fortune to be able to get it done in the late summer/early fall period by weekend reading.

The test can be completed by having them send the information to a approved testing facility. In my case I used one available locally for a very small fee. I know FL-Landscapes took his test by having them approving and sending the material too his local extension.

Here is the information.

5. stickleylawncare

stickleylawncare LawnSite Member

Once Im out of school, Id like to take a few horticulture classes on the side and I should probably get the "round up" license, tired of passing those on to big spray companies. So much less work than mowing.