Can't belive I'm gonna ask this...

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lqmustang, Mar 9, 2005.

1. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

As much as you all bash the 'how much should I charge' posts, this makes me a bit leery to ask, but all I want to know is, is the number I give out on par with what others in this general area getting.

Before anyone asks, yes, I am licensed. Yes, I am insured. Yes, I know exactly what my cost/k is. Yes, I know my other related costs. All of these numbers mean absolutely nothing if what I need (or want) to get per 1000sf is way out of line with what people expect to pay. The program I am offering I would consider to be a step or so better than average, includes pre emergent control, broad leaf control, but grub control is optional, but not included. Also, as I am just starting out in the fert and weed control, this is a granular program.

Now, without further ado, the numbers are 15k sq ft, with a per app. price of $57, or a 5 app. total of $285. If anyone cares to answer NICELY :D , does this sound average, high, low? I just want to get an idea where I stand. Especially if this seems low, I definitely don't want to be leaving anything out on the table. Also, if there is anyone who would rather PM me a response instead of putting it on a public forum, that would be fine.

Thanks in advance.

2. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

Well Stang,

If you know your costs and you are who you say you are then more power to you.
    I think that prices probably vary depending on the area.
    Not that it is terribly important, but how does that price compare to other lco's in the area?
    I personally wouldn't stop my truck to treat 15000 ft for that money.

3. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

I live an hour up the road ......$55-$65 right around the average.
    Ive seen $40 bids.

Some guys might not stop the truck for $57 ......but a lot will.

4. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

First off, if you are going to ask a pricing question, that is the correct way to ask it. For my market, your prices are about $15 per K low, but we are a long ways apart. What you can get for your program will depend on a few things that are unknown to most of us, how competitive is your market, how good of a face-face or telephone salesman are you, how are you marketing your services, how many accounts to you want to acquire, etc. etc.?

5. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

lqmustang,

For an above average quality service, with the #s you provide I feel that you would have to do at least 20 stops (300K) in 8 or less hours. A real tight route and a efficient applicator, and of course a PG or Z-spray. How much product you buy will have an effect on your materials price as you know. Big green can make a profit. $3.80 Per 1000 sq. ft. Charge price? Subtract your materials and your overhead, from your projected revenue. If you feel the amount left is enough Net profit for you, then you are on your way of competing with the bigger companies. IMO though, too low.

Good Luck,
    Pete D.

6. lqmustang

Thanks for all the responses so far. From what I'm reading so far, it seems that it is possible a bit of adjustment could be beneficial. Would be great if a few more Ohio area LCO's could toss out their opinions. (thanks kootoomootoo :D ) As I said already, that last thing I want to do is leave money on the table. I left way too much on the table when I started cutting, and am just now getting prices to where they should be finally. Won't make that mistake again.

I know what an area LCO was charging for a 7k property that I mow, and now will be doing the fert also. No, I didn't lowball, my price was actually higher, but she likes me, and is happy to have me take care of all the lawn maintenence. There are a few larger outfits, we have the usual TGCL, Scott's has been nudging in a bit, and there are a couple LCO's that have what appears to be decent sized operations, but my area is heavily populated, and there should be plenty of room for someone that can market well, and can run his business well. :waving: . Initially I am just focusing on upselling my mow customers until I get a bit more experience with time needs and such.

As far as my cost on materials, I'm sure not at $3.80/k, but for just starting out, I'm actually only about 25% higher on that figure. I'm getting better than someone else who recently posted his costs.

7. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

If you are 25% more than 3.80/k then you are paying $4.75 per k which means you are loosing over $14 per 1000 sf treated based on your price of $57.00 for 15k, I don't get it, are you a charity?

8. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

That sounds significantly low for my pricing, but thats me. I suppose it depends on all your costs, your area of the country and what you think the business should make. Try to figure the cost so that 1/3 is for the business, 1/3 for you and 1/3 covers expenses. This will put that price more into perspective. Now what do you think about that price?

9. lqmustang

I've been told I'm a nice guy, but no, I don't do charity when it comes to work. That cost is total per k for all applications. Divide by 5 and you can get the avg per k price per application. $4.75/k, that would be insane. ;)

After re-reading the post from heritage, I think I misread part of his post. I was thinking he was refering to cost :blush: Guess I should try to not do so much at once. Sorry if I caused any confusion.

10. turfsurfer

turfsurfer LawnSite Senior Member

Once you get into bigger yards like 15k, if you can get around $4 per 1000, that's not bad. Much more than that and you will be SEVERELY underbid. Not by everyone, but by enough that you won't get much work. The best money is in the tiny yards where your minimum can be 7-8 times product cost.